Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you going to subscribe to CBS All-Access for Star Trek?

• Yes, I'm going to subscribe to CBS All-Access specifically for Star Trek.

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • Yes, sort of, I already subscribe to CBS All-Access anyway.

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • No, I'll just wait however long it takes for exclusively to end and watch it on some other service

Votes: 34 58.6%
  • No, but I will use "other means" to watch it as it airs.

Votes: 16 27.6%

• Total voters

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
In case you haven't heard, the new Star Trek show will be available exclusively on CBS All-Access streaming, except for the first episode which will be broadcast on the network.

So, Trek fans... are you going to pay to subscribe to CBS All-Access just for this show?

Ray Brady

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2011
Nope. I'd love to see the show, but it's the one and only thing I would watch on CBS. I can wait.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
In case you haven't heard, the new Star Trek show will be available exclusively on CBS All-Access streaming, except for the first episode which will be broadcast on the network.

So, Trek fans... are you going to pay to subscribe to CBS All-Access just for this show?

Wait a minute, first of all CBS is a broadcast network, Number two they are competing with the likes of AMC who does not offer a stand alone subscription model, and bunches of other networks, whose programs are available though the local cable company. Thirdly, they will be competing with the large quantity of Netflix and Amazon Prime original programming, and fourthly, I thought the last Star Trek show stunk. :p

How much will a subscription be, a $1 a month? I think if they think people will pay $8 a month or more to subscribe for this one show, they are miscalculating badly imo, although I admit to having done exactly that to see Game of Thrones on HBO, but that is a known entity I was all ready hooked on. :)

Last edited:

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
For $5.99 per month I'm not doing it. That would be different if it were like Netflix or Hulu and had a large, multi-network catalog, but for one network who has no shows that I watch right now or that I can already get on DirecTV, it holds no value for me.

I'll wait it out until Star Trek makes its way to another platform that I already have.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
It would seem that CBS wants a big name show exclusive on All-Access in order to give All-Access a jump in subscriber base.

But all I see happening is that they put Trek on an unused platform, which causes the show to fail due to low viewership. :(

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Absolutely not paying for it when it is the only show I'd remotely consider and then that's not a definite. I hope CBS reconsiders this and just rents or sells the season through the usual channels instead.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Nah, it's only Star Trek.

Now if it was Star Wars...

image.jpeg

Reactions: rhett7660

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
You know every season would end with the rebels blowing up a new, different kind of Death Star. :rolleyes:

Who am I kidding, I would watch it anyway.
Only 3 of the 7 films end that way!
If it was Star Trek it would just start with 4 main stars and an extra in a red uniform beaming down to a planet.
Guess what happens next....

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I *love* Trek, and I would pay a typical per-episode price and/or a season pass lump sum (usually a 10-15% discount), but like most of the folks above, I won't pay more than that for a station where I won't watch anything else.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I love trek and am a huge trekkie. Yes, I would pay to see this. It's been too long since Voyager. I need to go through Enterprise but the first few seasons kinda killed it for me (yes I know when tng crew helped direct later on it got better).

Yeah, no love to CBS for requiring streaming but ... I already do all my TV on Apple TV, Netflix, and just recently got HBO Go. But for Star Trek? I'll do it. Nathan Fillion for captain !!!!!!! <cough>

Reactions: phrehdd and D.T.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I love trek and am a huge trekkie. Yes, I would pay to see this. It's been too long since Voyager. I need to go through Enterprise but the first few seasons kinda killed it for me (yes I know when tng crew helped direct later on it got better).

Yeah, no love to CBS for requiring streaming but ... I already do all my TV on Apple TV, Netflix, and just recently got HBO Go. But for Star Trek? I'll do it. Nathan Fillion for captain !!!!!!! <cough>

Hmmm, what night is it on and where do you live :D

Reactions: BigMcGuire

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The first season was painful. All soap stuff with very little "trek." Gunna make me cry to see Data again (yeah yeah Dr. Soong) But yeah, I really need to.
I consider myself a Trekkie, and given my age, I was able to watch the TOS when it first aired :eek:

The last series Star Trek: Enterprise had so much promise I was really looking forward to this. I thought they' be getting back more of the roots of Star Trek, yet they messed it up, with so much time travel crap. They had a blank slate to really come up with some new ideas and new villians and all they could do is time travel with the same old topics.

Here's something that I'm really hoping that comes to fruition, it looks like awesome and it appears Paramount dropped the lawsuit.

I liknked this to show how much endless possibilities there can be

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I consider myself a Trekkie, and given my age, I was able to watch the TOS when it first aired :eek:

The last series Star Trek: Enterprise had so much promise I was really looking forward to this. I thought they' be getting back more of the roots of Star Trek, yet they messed it up, with so much time travel crap.

TOS is amazing. Probably because I spent a lot of my very young youth (89-93) watching TOS with my dad when I was a wee kid - and those Star Trek marathons on the weekends (all TOS). TNG I got to watch weeknights after school (93-95). The only series I watched live on TV was VOY (95-01). After Voy I went through DS9 because my friend had bought all the DVDs. Spent a lot of high school playing Star Trek Armada I, II, Starfleet Command I, II, III. Read hundreds of Star Trek books.

Enterprise, I couldn't watch when it was airing live because I couldn't stand it. I love the actor who plays the captain but I didn't think he made a good starfleet captain. To be honest, I was saving Enterprise for a rainy day, especially when I heard TNG crew directed a lot of the later episodes and that they were pretty good. Just haven't gotten around to it. Much prefer watching reruns of DS9 and TNG on Netflix. :p

Yeah very happy Paramount dropped the lawsuit. Star Trek has been dead for far too long.

Edit: Am I seriously the only one that is going to pay for CBS All Access JUST for this series? (yes, I'm that 1 vote).

Last edited:

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
For the TOS fans (like myself, still my favorite of all the series), have you seen the remastered episodes? I bought these when they were first released on BD, watched them continuously :) I think most of the streaming options for TOS now offer the remastered versions.

For those not in the know: the episodes have been digitally cleaned (if you watched reruns on broadcast in the 80/90s know how bad the PQ was ...), the audio also remastered, rerecorded in some cases, and the most interesting thing, the FX shots have been redone. The latter is done really well, it's "feels" very seamless (especially with the new HD, brighter PQ of the non-FX shots) - some of the new visualizations are outstanding, lots of attention to details, but they were careful to keep the general design concept of the original shots. On the BD they had seamless branching, so you could toggle on-the-fly between and old new, was neat to compare the two.

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
For the TOS fans (like myself, still my favorite of all the series), have you seen the remastered episodes?

Yes, the HD planets are breathtaking. Definitely worth a re-watch (+ all the stuff you said about audio cleaned up). +1. A must for any TOS lover.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
For the TOS fans (like myself, still my favorite of all the series), have you seen the remastered episodes? I bought these when they were first released on BD, watched them continuously :) I think most of the streaming options for TOS now offer the remastered versions.

For those not in the know: the episodes have been digitally cleaned (if you watched reruns on broadcast in the 80/90s know how bad the PQ was ...), the audio also remastered, rerecorded in some cases, and the most interesting thing, the FX shots have been redone. The latter is done really well, it's "feels" very seamless (especially with the new HD, brighter PQ of the non-FX shots) - some of the new visualizations are outstanding, lots of attention to details, but they were careful to keep the general design concept of the original shots. On the BD they had seamless branching, so you could toggle on-the-fly between and old new, was neat to compare the two.
Now if they would just do this for ST TNG...

Reactions: jdoll021

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I *love* Trek, and I would pay a typical per-episode price and/or a season pass lump sum (usually a 10-15% discount), but like most of the folks above, I won't pay more than that for a station where I won't watch anything else.

The first one was ground breaking for 1966. I was 13 and my parents had reservations about me watching it. I loved it, but it is dated now. STNG was the series I truly fell in love with. The others- DSN, Voyager, Enterprise, all dissapointed me. So with this string of failures, ehh. I'll wait for rave reviews or alternative access, before I decide my next move.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.