Poll (US only please): Do you feel like our rights are being taken away

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by NusuniAdmin, Jun 4, 2004.

1. NusuniAdmin macrumors 6502a

NusuniAdmin

Do you feel like your rights are being takes away with all the recent action by the RIAA and gov. I kind of do, knowing that stations like CNN are allowed to show nude 6 year old iraq kids, but you are not allowed to talk about many things on the radio any more. How come their allowed to get away with it but i cant.

2. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Rights are yours and can't be taken away at least not short of killing you locking you up, stacking you naked in pyramids...

As for attempts to restrain them or to punish me for exercising them :) I don't think they have. The FCC has been more stringent on obscenity rules but that is a normal backlash. The line keeps moving on what is actionable until someone blows past it then it gets moved back to almost where it started out. Blame Janet Jackson. She did more for censorship than John Ashcroft.

As for why other people can and you can't it depends on how it is done. How can the discovery channel show full nakedness but E! has to blur out naughty bits on fully clothed people?

3. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

It's a tricky issue, for sure. I personally haven't seen any of my rights taken away. BUT.... I told that the patriot act "could" be a stepping stone towards rights evasion.

However, having not read the act, nor personally spoken with anyone who's read the act, I can't say that it is in fact a step towards the loss of rights.

But, there seems to be a fine line between free speech and free action. For instance, howard Stern got busted big for something that Ophra got away with. I think they were gunning for Stern for years, and used the booby incedent to strike him. But, Stern wasn't censored but rather lost his syndication via clear channel. It happens. CC says it was business, but it was probably personal. SO, Stern has the right to say whatever he wants, but he doesn't have the right for it to be broadcast through towers and equipment that he doesn't own. Free speech, not free action.

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Excuse me for butting in here, not being American and all, but:
    Isn't the point that you DON'T see your rights being taken away. One day they just aren't there when you need them.

"Rights evasion"?? Either this is a peculiar new term, or you meant "erosion".

Since you are (a) American, and (b) posting about the subject, don't you think you SHOULD read it? What's the FIA for?

No, they are two completely different things.

5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Govt is allways working to create more laws and more laws and more laws, what is the outcome? rights are being taken away law after law ever so slowly. just look at the patriot act- give authorities to march into anyones home yet Mexico is wide open for millions to come into the country. is this a double standard. Govt has to be kept in check otherwise the likes of George Bush( Dubya) will trample rights.

6. NusuniAdmin thread starter macrumors 6502a

NusuniAdmin

Its kinda like the homosexual marrage thing, personally i think we should let them get married so they learn how miserable it is hahah (note i am 14, therefore have not been married)

Then again, the US was founded on religeon (christianity to be exact), and its against the bible for anyone other than man + woman to get married...

A little off topic but have u guys heard about that christianity movement in the south? Their trying to leave the union or something like that. They say they don't have many rights any more. In one interview the guy who started it said he is not allowed to post religious things on buildings and such, well personally if i owned that company I would not want people posting things on my building...lol

7. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

The US was founded by Diests, not Christians. And it was founded on the principal of freedom of religions or freedom to have no relgions.

8. NusuniAdmin thread starter macrumors 6502a

NusuniAdmin

Wow that means those 5 encyclopedia sets we have lied, they all say christianity

9. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

They are indeed wrong. Who published them?

The founding fathers were not Christians. They were Diests.

10. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

Picky, picky aren't we ;) Maybe they will vanish, but we're not seeing them being stripped one at a time. Yes I meant erosion. Have you read everything parliment has written in the past, say, 5 years. Of course not. I bet that less than 1/10 of 1% of the American population has read the Patriot Act. That's why we live in a republic, so we don't have to. I should, but I simply don't have time to read laws all day. All I tried to say was that I haven't seen my rights change in the last 5 years. However, there are supposed free speech issues in the news here.

I understand your being critical, but there's no reason to totally quote line by line, and comment on each one. It seems a lot like trolling. :)

11. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i don't think anyone in congress has read it, either. i'm not kidding.

12. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

If you watch the trailer to Michael Moore's new film, Fahrenheit 9/11, you will see two Congressmen saying just that. One was John Conyers of Michigan, but the other's name escapes me just now.

13. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I'm shocked. Etc... :rolleyes:

Is that how it got through? :eek:

14. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i like to think that fear pushed it through. but i've also heard rumor that there was a bunch of stuff added in the middle of the night, just before the vote.

15. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Was that the bit about rescinding the Constitution? Or was it the bit about the "god-given right to kill anybody on the planet"? :rolleyes: