Poll: What are your top desktop enhancements?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by qtip919, Jul 29, 2005.

1. qtip919 macrumors 6502

I was wondering, what are the top (five, maybe?) desktop enhancements you use?

I have seen many screenshots with custom dock's etc. I am very interested in new ways to customize the UI beyond skins, icon mods, "dock eye-candy", etc.

I am wondering more about the full blown desktop enhancements people use

thanks!

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I feel like the only person who uses OSX as it is out of the box. Sorry, no changes here, just the regular Tiger interface, which I know and love. :p

3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Been using Meterologist to have weather in the menu bar and X Resource Graph to monitor my Mac, for quite a while.

Just started using MainMenu for maintenance and QuickSilver as a launcer, and both look like keepers... ;)

Edit: Aaah... you meant mods. I don't do that. But check ResExcellence for different approaches. Apart from altering the occasional menu item the only "mod" I do is change appearance from Blue to Graphite in System Preferences... :p

4. risc macrumors 68030

risc

You aren't ;)

5. javiercr macrumors 6502

javiercr

indeed you aren't

6. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

No enhancement things here either. Under Panther I liked "MenuCalendarClock" which put a drop down calendar in your menu... but since Tiger has that calendar widget, it's just not a necessity any more.

7. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

I used ShapeShifter until the 15 day demo ran out. It was kinda cool to switch up the GUI appearance a bit for a change of pace, and I might have even kept using it had it been freeware or even a mere $5-10. But $20 for that, plus another $10 for Mighty Mouse, just for a cosmetic alteration, isn't worth it to me. That $30 will be better spent elsewhere.

Besides, Tiger looks pretty damn nice as is.

8. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    No desktop enhancements here either. I do have Quicksilver running in the background but it's pretty much invisible until invoked.

And I guess you might count the Synergy iTunes controls in the menu bar - though since it looks like an iPod Shuffle wheel, it's pretty discreet too.

9. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Just Silk, to kick some old Carbon programs into using decent looking text.

10. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Another vote here for no enhancements. I feel like OS X doesn't really need any!

Plus, I know some Mac users who have a ton of stuff running on their machine, and it gets a bit excessive. Ironically, they are the same ones who bash Windows users for slowing down their system and chewing up resources with AV, SpyWare, Norton, etc., having a million things running in their system tray and all that - yet they're no better with all their widgets, enahancements, add-ons and millions of little apps on their system! I try to keep my Mac as clean as possible, and see no need for any enhancements per se. :cool:

11. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I use a pretty stock OS too – apart from custom icons and some nice desktops I prefer to leave best alone.

12. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Me too, can't forget the icons - I always personalize my Mac with some cool ones. InterfaceLift (formerly xicons.com) is a great site!

13. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Candybar. That is it. Everything else doesn't make the desktop look all that great...

14. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

Konfabulator, now that it's free. Hey, I'm still on Panther!

I also use Transparent Dock.

Attached Files:

15. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    I use one and one only.
    Dockextender for keeping multiple apps under one icon in the dock.

I used to use Fruitmenu, MightyMouse, Windowshade X and Shapeshifter.

Now I am Haxie free and loving it.

16. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Isn't the dock already transparent? Or is there a way to make it fully transparent? :confused: On your desktop it still looks like you can see the Dock's outline... just curious....

17. qtip919 thread starter macrumors 6502

ok, that's more like it...

Im not asking about things that change the appearance, rather, I am interested in enhancements (QS, app launchers, etc.)

thanks!~

18. qtip919 thread starter macrumors 6502

jrv3034 -

I really like how your dock is positioned on the far left corner...what app allows for that?

thanks

19. thequicksilver macrumors 6502a

thequicksilver

A few things.

• Drop down menu featuring frequently accessible apps which just don't quite merit a place in the dock (courtesy of Butler).
    • iTunes Play/Pause, Previous and Next buttons (courtesy of Butler).
    • Transparent dock icon for hidden apps (courtesy of Tinker Tool).

The other thing that isn't really an enhancement, but is something I find impossible to do without is a setting that - for some ridiculous reason - is in Sys Prefs->Appearance. I can't do without 'Click in the scroll bar to jump to here'. In long documents when you want to get to the end without reaching for the keyboard, it's a must.

Another very minor thing is putting labels on drives on the desktop. Purely cosmetic.

20. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Forgot about dock transparancy. I use ClearDock, wich in my opinion is better than TransparentDock, especially with Tiger.

21. 20rogersc macrumors 65816

20rogersc

All I use are some custom icons called 'sketch'.

::20ROGERSC::

22. ahuman7341 macrumors regular

menu meters

sizziling keys- it can control itunes nomatter what app your in, its one of my new best friends.

and i also changed the eject menubar item so it has a picture of a hamburger instead of the eject symbol. and it says cook hamburgers instead of open drive.

23. qtip919 thread starter macrumors 6502

wow...

sizzling keys IS awesome indeed!!!

I love this app!

thanks for the tip!

24. Benjamin macrumors 6502a

Benjamin

A set of custom icons in coretypes. A custom hacked extras and finder, search bundle resources. Butler, menumeters, main menu, wclock.

25. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Cool, I always wondered if there was a free app to do this - the only other ones I had heard about seemed to be packaged in with other utilities and cost money. Thanks for the link!