Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What Browser Do You Use?

• Total voters

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
I've recently switched my default browser from safari to Camino, and it's nice.

I can't figure out how to set up an RSS bookmark like I have in Safari yet, but other than that, I like how Camino uses the bookmark bar and I like how it's skinable....

I didn't like Shiira at all, seemed kind of childish...if that makes any sense.

I'm going to try Omni tonight.

:)

macidiot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2002
Right now, Safari, because I have a need for private browsing.

Otherwise, Firefox. Firefox is hands down superior to Safari.

macidiot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2002
DJMastaWes said:
Safari. I like it, it's simple, fast, easy to use.

I have a custom skin on it, anyone know how to change it back to the old one?

lol, is there any browser that is easier to use over another? I think they all pretty much operate the same... back, forward, reload, click on link...

DJMastaWes

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2006
Montreal, Quebec
macidiot said:
lol, is there any browser that is easier to use over another? I think they all pretty much operate the same... back, forward, reload, click on link...
Yea, but I find some browsers to have some usless things. I just like safari the way it is.

radiantm3

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2005
San Jose, CA
macidiot said:

Care to explain why it's "hands down superior"? On the mac platform, I highly disagree. :) Firefox is clunky and slow. The only thing going for it is it's plug-in support. I do agree that Firefox > * in Windows.

zero2dash

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2006
Fenton, MO
Camino

I use Camino since our 10.39 Panther G5 only has Safari 1.x on it and I can't find any way to download the 2.x one that comes with Tiger. Camino has the same memory leak as Firefox but it's not as bad. Camino seems like the fastest browser available to me without us upgrading to Tiger (which would be foolish since Leopard is just around the corner).

I was using Opera 8.2 for awhile but I got sick of having pages not render/load properly, and I had a slew of issues with Opera 9 not working correctly with Java.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Camino.

Sometimes, I'll use Safari... but that's only what, maybe once or twice a month?! :p Camino would be even better if they had built-in spell checker (like Safari) and could support the Mac OS X's pop-up dictionary. :eek:

wilburdl

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2006
Atlanta
I too use Safari. I just upgraded to 10.4.7 myself and have this annoying Saft issue. At first Safari wouldn't work until I downloaded a demo off the Apple site using Firefox. Now I get a pop up every hour or so prompting me to get the real version. Anyone know what to do in this situation?

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
macidiot said:

Run MenuMeters and watch your processor action while you run FireFox, even when idle.

You may not think that FireFox is superior after that.* It is a mess of a port.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Safari with AcidSearch and an ad-blocking style sheet meets just about all of my needs. Firefox for those rare occasions when a site gives me grief about Safari that I can't easily work around.

lexus

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 26, 2006
Depends Greatly On The Weather
WildCowboy said:
Safari with AcidSearch and an ad-blocking style sheet meets just about all of my needs. Firefox for those rare occasions when a site gives me grief about Safari that I can't easily work around.
Does addblocking not piss you of as all you see is white squares btw what add blocker do you use?

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
lexus said:
Does addblocking not piss you of as all you see is white squares btw what add blocker do you use?

I don't see squares...it completely removes them. I can't specifically mention what I use...such discussions are discouraged here at MR. The gods don't really approve of talking about ways to get around seeing the ads that help pay the bills on the site...and they're right. (I guess I should have kept my mouth shut entirely on that issue. :eek: )

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
lexus said:
No.

1. I only block flash ads, and announcers has learned this and usually provides gif alternatives, which I don't mind. Those replacements are the same that you'll get if you use Safari/Webkit and turn off support for plugins.

2. In many cases, when a replacement isn't set, the field where the add should have been are just truncated and there isn't a big white hole there.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with my Adblock plus (even if I prefer Flashblock for FF 1.5.0.x). Just don't use it for blocking all ads, that will only p*** announcers and site owners off in the long run, and we'll get even more intrusive ads. Just get rid of the most annoying ones: Flash and the most hysterical animated gifs.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
I've been using Camino as my main browser after using Safari for a long long time. I like Camino for it's speed, but there are a few minor things that bug me. Dictionary (control-command-D) doesn't work, and middle clicking on items in the Bookmarks Bar doesn't open them in a new tab like in Safari, so you have to command-click. Other than that I really like Camino, although if Safari stops crashing so much, I'll switch back. I don't know if its the fact that it's running on Intel, or if it's something broken in 10.4.6 and not yet fixed, but on my iMac, Safari crashes once every couple days. Camino hasn't yet crashed once for me.

Shadow

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2006
Internet Explorer. Seriously-but its only cos I have a PC (for now...). I like Opera 9, I just cant be bothered to make it my defult browser since my Mac is arriving in 3 days (literally just turned Friday here).

rdf8585

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2006
What do people see in Safari, seriously? In my personal experiences, it's noticably slower than Firefox (no pipeling!) and it uses significant more memory too. It also isn't as customizable as Firefox either.

Safari uses 250-400 MB on my Mini after a few hours of browing, with few windows/tabs open. I've had it use over 500 a few times and cause a ton of pageouts, and I never get pageouts under normal circumstances. I can live with Firefox' RAM usage, usually 100-200 MB on my system.

Safari's tab system isn't great either. Like in FF, you can force links to open up in a new tab in the same window. You can't in Safari, and that's a major issue for me.

Safari does look more like a Mac app, but in the grand scheme of things, that shouldn't count for too much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.