POLL: What do you think the new name of the rumored computer be?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by EJBasile, Dec 29, 2004.

1. EJBasile macrumors 65816

Apr 20, 2004
    Hello everyone.

I was just wondering what you think the name of the new computer is (that is if it comes out)

I heard some metioned in the rumor responses included miniMac, myMac, iMac Mini, iCentre/iCenter (depending on where you are from).

Just a quick question why do we think its an iMac? Why not an eMac, it might be a replacement or sibling to it. Or a version of the powermac.
  2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    This is a good point...at some time, weren't there were considered to be pretty reliable rumors that the eMac G5 had started production, or at least production tooling, and was almost ready for launch, until G5 chips started becoming too scarce? The eMac bump, whether it was major or minor, never got announced anywhere....
  3. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Feb 19, 2003
    Planet Zebes
    MediaMac......b/c that's the purpose it will serve in my home with an AE card so that I can stream media from my iMac G5 to it to watch on my television (or music to my stereo).
  4. blackfox macrumors 65816

Feb 18, 2003
    iDon't know. really.

If the rumors are true, the name will be incidental (to me).
  5. zim macrumors 65816

Jan 5, 2002
    I think it is the next evolution of the eMac... but what do I know :rolleyes:
  6. MacFan25863 macrumors 6502a

Jun 20, 2004
    I'm going to guess the codename is Porthole.

Why? I don't know. Just seems to fit it.
  7. homerjward macrumors 68030

May 11, 2004
    fig tree
    i liked the suggestion of iChabod from the other thread, but i'd like to see it named iDontmakecomputersboughtinlatedecemberanyslower, or maybe the iCost 500. but it'll probably just be Macintosh G4. not power, not i, not e, not mini, just Macintosh G4.
  8. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

Mar 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    I don't think you can really call it an imac or emac... those were designed as, and have always been, all in one machines. Nothing headless could truly be an imac or emac, so I hope it's a different name.
  9. pinto32 macrumors 6502

Oct 19, 2003
    Since they are apperently targeting this to iPod-buying Windows users, I would think that maybe something like "Mac Pod" would be likely...

Reguardless of what it is named, this is a big move for Apple, and one that will hopefully put to rest the claims that Macs are too expensive.
  10. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

Dec 16, 2004
    Birmingham, AL
    Hmm it's way late at night and I'm bored, so here's a thought or two. Some of them might even be considered mildly humorous.

If it's spherical in design, call it the iBall.
    For a translucent case, the iGlass.
    If it's really tiny, the iDrop.

But seriously, I wouldn't be surprised if they keep the "Mac" and just prefix a different letter, like qMac or something along those lines. Maybe cMac for compact.

For anything that runs Windows, the iSore.
  11. maxterpiece macrumors 6502a

Mar 5, 2003
    right now there is the
    i*mac* and power*mac* for desktops
    the i*book* and power*book* for laptops
    and the i*pod* and ...... power *pod* as our new truly consumer level mac device?

oh yeah and the emac for "education".
  12. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

I wouldn't be surprised if they play off the iPod's success and call it something like the mPod or MyPod... but it's really too big to be a "pod", isn't it?

It's not an iMac or an eMac or a PowerMac... but it IS a Mac if it's running OSX...

Maybe they'll try to make a connection between the iPod and the Mac? But they've already done that visually with the iMac and they're pushing that fact in the ads...

Pushing the cheap or inexpensive aspect doesn't seem very Apple... Not like a valueMac....

miniMac kind of makes sense, but it's a little cutesy... myMac?

Perhaps something relating to its simplicity? Bare-bones ness? Bottom of the line? Like an aMac? (which everybody would pronounce wrong).. Consumer oriented cMac?

Maybe it's the opposite of PowerMac... FeebleMac? BareMac?

Play up it's slab-like stature, like the monolith in 2001? The Apple Odyssey?

I know iPod sounded a bit strange and open-ended when it came out, so who knows what's in store here.

Apple plays up the i-Thing to no end.. iPod, iTunes, iMac, iLife, iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD... What does it stand for anyhow? I can see them tossing the i onto something new. iBase. iCenter. Kind of like iBase... for both meanings of base, as in a station and basic...

We'll know in a couple of weeks I guess! :)
  13. quagmire macrumors 603

Apr 19, 2004
    iMac Mini. Simple as that. The iMac G5 is tied with the regular iPod. This computer said to be small, powerful, and even portable( no battery though). So this computer will be tied with the Mini and be called iMac Mini.
  14. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    Will the iChabod have an optional VESA Crane to mount it on the wall? :D
  15. zelmo macrumors 603

Jul 3, 2004
    Mac since 7.5
  16. maxterpiece macrumors 6502a

Mar 5, 2003
    I've been waiting for the LC IV for more than 10 years. It's finally here!
  17. MacNeXT macrumors 6502

Jun 21, 2004
  18. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

Oct 5, 2004
    The name should not have anything pod in it. IT IS NOT AN IPOD. Its a computer,running osx,hands down. Maybe something like "MyFirstMac", or "iMac Jr.", or "eMac jr.".
  19. brap macrumors 68000

May 10, 2004
    Macintosh mini. LC 4 sounds good, too ;)

Won't happen, though - if we've learned anything from the iMac G5 and sundries, it's that iPod is king - and we'll milk that cow for all it's worth.
  20. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004

The 'cool' factor' evaporates before our eyes...
  21. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

Oct 5, 2004
    "The Cool eMac jr." is that better? :D