Poll:What kind of new Power Books will we see?

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by Macmaniac, Feb 6, 2002.

?

How fast will the new Power Books be and when?

1. Speed Bump at MacWorld Tokyo 700mhz to 900mhz

42 vote(s)
    72.4%
  2. Speed bump not at an expo 700mhz to 900mhz

6 vote(s)
    10.3%
  3. Speed bump not at expo 1ghz

2 vote(s)
    3.4%
  4. Power Book gets put on steroids at MWNY with a G5 chip 1ghz and up

2 vote(s)
    3.4%
  5. Speed bumps after MWNY

6 vote(s)
    10.3%
  1. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

It's poll time again from me the poll poster. Since there is lots of disscusion about Power Books I thought it was time for a poll!
    Here are the choices:
    Speed bump at MacWorld Tokoyo 700mhz to 900mhz
    Speed bump not during an expo 700mhz to 900mhz
    Speed bump to 1ghz
    Power Book gets put on steroids at MWNY with a G5 chip 1ghz and up
    Speed bumps after MWNY

Have fun post away;) :D :p :) :rolleyes: :cool:

2. moby1 macrumors 6502

Faster HD's

I'm hoping that the lower model will get the 5400 RPM IBM 30GB drive and the upper model will get the 48 GB TravelStar with the 60 GB as a BTO option.

I'm ready to buy late March/early April if they do show up at Tokyo.

*how about and ADC port so I can connect to the newer Apple displays w/o buying an adapter!

3. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Personally, I think there'll be G5 towers before we see G5 PB's. The PB is simply too new compared to the towers. So, *hopefully hopefully hopefully* if the G5's make their debut at MWNY, I'd imagine Jan. '03 for the PB's.

4. keithcobbett macrumors member

I agree totally. The G4 towers are starting to show their age and it's time for a change. The PB's are only about 1 year old and have another year left in them anyway. But, they do need a speed boost and it needs it quick. I'd love to see 900MHz versions. But, I'd also like to see the video memory doubled from where it is now. I plan on picking one up for my business needs, but would like to have more graphics power.

5. DavidCL23 macrumors 6502

32mb new mobile radeon 8500, and ddr memory (be the first to put ddr in a laptop)!!!!

6. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

Do you know why there is no DDR in laptops? Because laptops use miniature SO-DIMMS, and DDR SDRAM is runs off of standard DIMMS. As far as I know, there is no DDR on SO-DIMMS yet.......

7. mywar2000 macrumors member

Yeah, I think it's pretty obvious that a new PB will be the next big announcement. With the new imac out gunning the top of the line PB... 700-900 mhz. would be my guess.

8. networkman macrumors regular

i predict a small to medium speed bump

667 or slightly higher low end, and something less than 1 ghz high end...maybe more ram and superdrive would be nice but i am not holding my breath

a superdrive would wow the crowd like the imac did, actually the crowd didn't seemed that wowed by the imac but sales of the imac later showed that it was a great move for apple

you really have to see an imac close up to appreciate it and i have never seen a picture of a computer before that does such an injustice to the actual machine...the imac is solid to the core and it is a professional machine

9. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Can they squeeze a superdrive in there? I thought they were barely able to get a combo in there. I haven't heard anything on the advancement of the possibility of superdrives in the PB lately... has anyone here?

10. sam case macrumors newbie

does anyone know of any unoffical rumors about the status of the powerbook in print lately? i am new to apple, and would like this to be my first purchase, but really want them to catch up on the speed thing first....

11. Macmaniac thread starter macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Speed

Don't worry friend a G4 runs circles around a pentium, the G4 is much faster, don't worry the numbers look low but they really are not.

12. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Speed of G4

Ok, I've got a legit question. I'm a long time pc user. I have friends who have ibooks and Ti G4's. I'm in the market for a laptop, and the PC versions just don't look as nice, but the numbers seem like the PC's are much much faster. I hate to think of plunking down 2 grand or so for a mac when a pc for the same price is at least twice as fast. The last post I read here said that the G4 is "much faster." I've scoured the internet, and can find nothing to really compare the mac's to the pc's. I'm really interested in the mac's, osx, and possibly converting (Man am I going to have to eat my words when my friends see me with a mac), but I have to see some concrete evidence. Can anyone point me to something that compares pcs to macs??

Thanks.

13. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Anyone have any info on the speed issue?

Thanks.

14. keithcobbett macrumors member

Re: Speed of G4

Speed of the processor is only 1 aspect of the entire speed issue. You need to look at bus speed, video memory, memory speed and amount of memory in system, hard drive speed, etc, etc, etc. If we talk just plain power for the punch, the G4 with Velocity Engine handles the info in 128-bit increments where the P4 handles it in 32-bit increments. This means it can do the same amount of work in a lot less time. I hope this helps you out.

15. keithcobbett macrumors member

16. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

could also try www.apple.com/g4/myth/

there's a short qt movie showing some of the issues at play when it comes to processor speed.

17. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Thanks, but I understand the arguments. 128 bit vs. 32 or 64. I also understand other optimization things, but talking about theory and doing a side by side comparison are different animals. I mean, it's one thing to say a G4 running at 677 MHz is faster than a pc at 1.2 GHz for whatever reason, but has anyone ever seen a side by side benchmark type comparison. I'm relunctant to buy a computer based on theory, I'd like to see some numbers.

Thanks again, the site and theory do help, but I've been pc for so long, it's hard to let go of some of my preconceptions, and some real hard numbers might help.

M

18. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I went to the myth site, and guess what, the video crashed my pc. Ha, that's actually kind of funny. Can someone tell me what the content was of that guys speech?