POLL: What size movies are you willing to download?

Discussion in 'Community' started by encrypt3d, Apr 27, 2004.

1. encrypt3d macrumors member

(im too stupid to make a poll so}
    What size movies are you willing to download?

A. less then 10mb
    B. 11-20MB
    C. 20-50MB
    D. 50MB+

Im wondering how high quality I can upload videos of whatever.

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

How long would these movies be? I have been known to download 2 GB feature-length movies.

3. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

You may want to alter the sizes for your poll because anyone with a broadband connection (and millions have one) could download a 50 meg file in a matter of a half a minute.

4. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i have 56k so less than 5 mb is fine for me

i hate it when my friends at my old job send me huge email files lasting minutes long because they are so BORED at work

note: if you are lazy and proud of it, become a federal employee since most likely you won't find a more nosepicker job out there..but it you get bored easily and constantly like challenge and growth, then don't go there ;)

5. Calvinatir macrumors 6502

Calvinatir

i download 2GB+ all the time.., Im have a blockbuster suply on my computer..

6. King Cobra macrumors 603

If I think a music video will be worth it, then I'll put my s***ty-ass 28.8K dial-up to work and download the 50+MB file...the limit for me is about 100MB.

My most recent big video downloads were ≈40MB and 75MB, though the 75MB file was through a slow network and happened to be the only place that had the file I wanted. (I pulled a 22-hour overnighter with that one, and it was worth it. [​IMG])

7. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

You shouldn't call yourself stupid. Take pride in what you have accomplished. Apparently you are into biking, that takes talent.

Since Mac OS X allows you to continue other projects while downloading, my vote is for 50MB+

8. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Another way to ask is how long you would wait for a movie to download. 30 seconds? 1 minute? 5 minutes?

For me, a couple minutes is about my tolerance limit, unless I really know it's going to be worth it.

9. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

If I can download it at full speed, I am willing to download up to a few gigs at a sitting.

10. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

bittorrent is neat. broadband is everyone's friend.

i've downloaded entire seasons of shows, taking over a week of constant uptime and over 5 gigs downloaded (and more uploaded) at modem speeds.

with an always on connection, the size of the file doesn't really matter. even the download time doesn't matter. it wouldn't work for rentals yet, but purchases would be fine in my book.

11. coolsoldier macrumors 6502

My upper limit is about 200MB. If I start regularly downloading files that are bigger than that, I start getting complaints from my ISP for hogging bandwidth.

12. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Do ISPs really complain if you download too much? You'd think by unlimited they would mean unlimited.

13. Awimoway macrumors 65816

My ISP just boosted me from 768 kbps down to 3000 for free. >50 MB wouldn't bother me.

14. coolsoldier macrumors 6502

I don't know that they ever actually said unlimited, but Comcast has in the past complained about users downloading too much. Might be time to switch to DSL...

15. Awimoway macrumors 65816

Why would they be any less uptight about it?

16. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Try FTTH...about 550MB per minute! :D

Sushi

17. iGav macrumors G3

I'm sure I read somewhere that if movies were to be made available in an iTMS store kind of way, then the bandwidth of the Atlantic Optical Data cable thingy would be maxed and things would really start slowing down for everybody regardless of Broadband connection speed

18. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

There's usually some fine print somewhere. With my connection, I'm allowed to transfer up to 10 GB per month, after which I have to pay 20c per MB. At that point it's cheaper to open a temporary second account for $30, and get another 10 gigs :)

I know that some ISPs simply slow down your connection once you reach a certain limit. MSN does that (at least here in NZ they do), it slows down to dialup speed once you've transferred 10 GB.

19. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

my isp has a 15GB limit each month. i'm sure I have gone over it every single month yet they have not said a thing to me. often I transfer well over 1GB each day. if the amount I download ever becomes a problem with my isp I will just upgrade to the pro connection they offer which allows 30GB for 20 more each month. my current connection is 5mbit and the pro is 8mbit

about the movie size question. I mainly download films that are 2 700MB. some are even 3 700MB files. sounds like a lot to some but the quality can't be beat.

20. Angelus macrumors 6502

the biggest file i've ever downloaded on my 56k was 320MB.
    Obviously, it took ages but i had that right of passage feeling when it was done.

21. Mokona macrumors member

Mokona

To me size doesn't matter. My VDSL-connection has a speed of 13Mbits/sec so any size is okay :D

22. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

For those of you that download these massive files, go into Activity Monitor and click on the Network tab. What kind of numbers do you have in Data in: and Data out:? I remember having about 4GB once, but being on a laptop I shutdown my computer more frequently and that resets the values, otherwise it'd be a LOT higher :D

23. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

Full size....so that I could burn a DVD with it and watch it at DVD quality.

24. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Wow, that's slow!

How much do you pay for this per month?

Sushi