Poll: When do you think G5 powerbooks will be released?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by NusuniAdmin, Apr 21, 2004.

1. NusuniAdmin macrumors 6502a

NusuniAdmin

Poll: When do you think G5 powerbooks will be release?

Before 1.5 ghz pbook I thought G5 pbook would be out at WWDC, but now i am guessing a september release. That would be nice, new pbooks with os 10.4 :)!

2. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Is there an option for "Not soon enough"

I am guessing summer 2005

3. brhmac macrumors regular

4. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I am still holding out hope that they will be announced at WWDC, even if they aren't available until August or September.

5. Bear macrumors G3

With these updates that just happened, I doubt Apple will announce G5 Powerbooks in two months and not have any Powerbooks shipping for two months.

What is mor elikely is they will be announce no early than September or so. If they're announced that soon.

6. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

I think we have 6 months or more before they appear. Paris is a possibility for a Jobs presentation (the PBG5 wont just appear without a Jobs special) or more likely imho January...

7. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

8. eclipse525 macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

Fall 2005.........sooner if they're smart. They need a boost in sales. The iPod can't remain their main revenue source.

~e

9. cubist macrumors 68020

10. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

I think your September date is really optimistic! I don't think you will see them anytime this year. I'd say around this time next year. Apple even said that the PowerBook will NOT see a G5 processor anytime soon. They also said that they will continue to use Motorola's G4 processor for sometime to come. So the G4 isn't going away anytime soon and the PowerBook will continue to have a G4 throughout the rest of this year. I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't updated for the rest of the year.

11. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Are you under the impression that they're waiting deliberately? :D It's not like they have a choice in the timing. They'll put them in PBs as soon as they can.

12. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

I'm not sure. There is a big "depends" in there. How long Apple has been working on shoehorning a G5 into a PB? Are they redoing the shell of the system as well which would mean an overall revamp of the entire system? Are they looking at adding new tech to the system? Etc.

My current hope is this: WWDC Jobs announces the 17" and 15" G5 PowerBooks. In typical Jobsian fashion the PowerBooks are demoed with Jobs announcing a 4th quarter release date. This gives Apple several more months to finish off tweaking the systems and gives IBM more time to get its 90nm process refined to a point that it can ramp up production of 90nm G5's.

Personally what I think the holdup of the G5 PowerBook has been 3 fold:
    1. Low yield of 90nm G5's.
    2. Getting a working chipset for IBM's PowerTune Tech which will allow the CPU to actively scale back the CPU's speed when not needed.
    3. A more refined cooling method then what previous PowerBooks have used. Possible liquid cooling??

PS- My money is on NO OS X release this year. I'm guessing Tiger will be released sometime next summer with some serious under the hood tweakings for the G5 along with other cool features. (Most likely things that Longhorn will be debuting in 2006.)

13. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

Why? We have 2.5 months until WWDC. Announcing a 4th quarter release date (Oct, Nov) is then over 6 months until its released. Its possible. The question is it probable. :confused:

14. NusuniAdmin thread starter macrumors 6502a

NusuniAdmin

yes I highely agree with that. With 10.2, by this time of the year, it was up to about 10.2.6 if I remember correctly and 10.3 is still at 10.3.3, I really think apple is going to try and make the 10.4 release a lot better than panther, personally i really dislike panther. Mostly cause i have seen how slow it can make a comp run, my dad installed it on his emac 1 ghz superdrive edition and it runs at least 10% slower than jaguar, and this is even after a full reformat.

15. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

I'm guessing either late 2004 like around Christmas, or sometime during MWSF in 2005, I don't think they would wait past that. The G4 does not have a very long road map ahead of it, the Power Mac G4's topped out at 1.42ghz, and they were over-clocked. The new chips are not over-clocked but Motorola has cut a lot from their chip development team so I don't see much more coming out of the G4, its nearing the end of its life.

16. ibiricu macrumors newbie

Project Q16

The next Powerbook is the new G4 1000 and 1300 with improvement such as new hinges (Code Name: Q16)

The new G4 is been built as we speak by Quanta in Taiwan. I have seen the units and they are ready to ship in the next few weeks

NO POWERBOOK G5

17. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Sorry, are you saying you have info about a new generation/rev of G4 PBs for this year?

If so, what specs/look info do you have?

Oh, and how good is your source ;)

18. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

Whatyoutalkin'aboutwillis?!?!

19. dukemeiser macrumors 6502a

dukemeiser

20. NusuniAdmin thread starter macrumors 6502a

NusuniAdmin

Hey the day b4 my birthday :D

21. Bear macrumors G3

I think you have missed the point. Once Apple announces the G5 Powerbook, current G4 Powerbook sales are going to fall through the floor. There is no way Apple would let several months go between announcement and shippment of the G5 Powerbooks.

So, I say a fall announcement is the earliest and I wouldn't even bet on the announcement happening then.

22. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

I don't know what version of Panther you installed but it must be a flaky one! I've installed Panther on at least 5 totally different Macs and ALL of them have seen a very good jump in performance since installing Panther. My 1 GHz iMac has seen huge improvements in boot up times, and general OS use. Not to mention that it installs in about 15-20 minutes with another 5 to run the OS X.3.3 combo update.

You might want to check and see how much RAM that eMac has! Everyone else I know has also seen good improvements over jaguar. Even on my mom's 233 MHz G3 iMac it runs a ton better than jaguar!

23. NusuniAdmin thread starter macrumors 6502a

NusuniAdmin

10.3.3. Actually I just installed it on my dual and updated to recent version and i have yet to see a speed improvement.

BTW: log into the macintosh chat room on yahoo and many people there will agree with me that panther is a pretty pointless/crappy upgrade . (my username is dark_avenger2000_2000 ). If you meet someone on there called digital_axe he will say every os x sux and everyone should use os 9, he is such a funny person :))