Poll: who actually uses the rear camera on the iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Blorzoga, Feb 19, 2012.

?

Do you use the rear-facing camera on ipad2?

1. Often, to take photos

26 vote(s)
    17.8%
  2. Seldom

25 vote(s)
    17.1%
  3. Only for FaceTime

23 vote(s)
    15.8%
  4. Never

72 vote(s)
    49.3%
  1. macrumors 68020

Blorzoga

I've had my iPad since launch and can honestly say that I've forgotten that it even has a rear facing camera. How many of you actually use the RF camera on a regular basis?

2. macrumors 6502a

Kavier

I have never used it and hate that my case has the camera cut out on the back although I can see it being useful in some situations...just none that pertain to how I use it.

3. macrumors 68020

Video around the house with the kids and sometimes pics if its the device I'm carrying at the moment. Its much easier to see your subject with a large screen, but obviously the camera quality leaves a lot to be desired (especially indoors).

I understand why people claim iPad cameras arent a big deal, but its not like they charge more for it so it's existence gets far more trashing than it deserves. The advance of technology requires being open minded to everything, including the things we don't "think" we want.

4. macrumors 6502a

motoleo

I accidentally voted only for FaceTime when I meant to put never.

The camera is just low quality. I wish there was more augmented reality apps.

5. macrumors 6502

I always use my iPad to take videos of my robts at home, I have heaps of wonderful video apps that can add some very cool effects. I also use it out and about if I forget my camera or ipod. Sure it looks a bit silly but it's better than using my phone which is an absolute nightmare to retrieve videos and pictures from :rolleyes:

However on school excursions it's my go to device, my students just love being able to watch what I am videoing and then I can edit it on the bus so we can all watch a completed movie once we get back to school.

6. macrumors member

Rear cameras on ipads are just stupid. If they offered a no-rear-camera option that was $1 cheaper, I would buy it to save the dollar, because it is that worthless.

7. macrumors regular

I never use it but only because it's such a crappy camera.

8. macrumors 6502a

motoleo

haha [​IMG]

9. macrumors 6502

haha that's great. I currently have the iPad 1, so i've never really thought about potential camera usage. I think the front facing camera would be convenient for facetime, and playing around with photo booth. But yeah, a 1.3 MP rear facing camera on an ipad is a joke. Even if it were 5 MP or higher, I doubt I would use it very much.

10. macrumors 65816

I use mine all the time. When I talk to my husband over FaceTime or Skype and need to show him something or to snap a quick pic of the grandkids to email to him.

To take videos of my grandkids (they love to watch themselves), and my granddaughter finds it great fun to take pictures and then scroll through them. Unfortunately a lot of her pics are of her feet but she loves it. (she's 3)

Yes, they are grainy but it's still a lot of fun and for us, that's the point. When I want really good pictures I use a real camera.

11. macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

If I wanted to take a photo/video, I'd use my DSLR.

12. macrumors Core

i really wish they'd put in a better front-facing camera and just get rid of the rear camera. the rear one really has no uses.

13. macrumors 6502a

I use it semi-regularly (every couple weeks) to take photos and video of my baby, because I always have my iPad on hand but not always my camera.

If the 3 has better cameras that would be a big incentive for me to upgrade.

14. macrumors regular

x2... eliminate the pointless rear camera and use that expense and put it towards a full HD front video camera. Wait... scratch that... HD will show all the gory details in your face :D

15. macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    I use it often and find it extraordinarily handy. Examples: my new lawnmower developed an oil leak. Took a photo of it and went to Sears with my iPad to show them. Easier than taking the lawn mower. If I see something in a store that I think a relative might like, I take a photo of it and send it with a text message to get an opinion. I also take photos of important sections of manuals for household tools and pop them into DropBox. Easier than searching for the manual when it's needed.

In good light, the camera does a very nice job. Here's an example of one of the first photos I took with my iPad 2:

[​IMG]

16. macrumors 68020

If you've got toddlers then FaceTime sessions usually involve the kid running away from boring old granny. So the front camera is good for tracking. Also, if it has autofocus its ideal for check deposits and scanning apps. Augmented reality. Photography (if you're not easily embarassed). We use ours as a baby monitor with iCamSource sometimes where the iPad is the crib cam and the Macbook is the receiver.

There are tons of uses out there and its possible to have both so I don't see why people are so upset over its existence simply because they don't use it. Its still such a new market that we have yet to see what sort of creative ideas can come from an iPad with no compromises.

17. macrumors 68020

miamialley

Do you have a phone?

18. macrumors 68030

Yah Ido all that with iPhone. I'd use the cameras more if they were better. FaceTime sucks on the iPad due to crap cameras.

19. macrumors 6502a

I am personally looking forward to the purported higher quality camera. If it matches my iphone 4s camera then I can see using it. I find taking photos without a viewfinder challenging. Having a razorsharp 10 inch retina display to frame shots will be a boon to my photos. However I can imagine I will look pretty silly taking shots.

I personally don't care though. I am a semi-pro photographer(shooting a few weddings, and product shoots a year), but I have pretty much given up using anything but my iphone day to day. The only exceptions are in the water, or for special occasions. Otherwise my 7d, sony TX10, and s95 are collecting dust. If you told me that I would be switching to a cellphone as my primary 4 years agoI would have insisted that you were crazy. Maybe the ipad will be the same once equipped with a 8mp camera.

I am really looking forward to the retina display for reviewing shots though. I shoot with eye-fi mobile x2 cards that automatically beam shots to my ios devices. The retina display will be a game changer for photographers on the go.

20. macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    A dumb one. Has a camera, but I've never used it.

21. macrumors 68020

miamialley

Sounds like you need a smart phone.

22. Guest

I'd much prefer a much better iPhone camera

I always carry my iPhone and rarely carry the iPad (when I do it's in my backpack)

23. macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

This. I'm kinda disappointed w camera to be honest. And I use my iPhone to take photos all the time. It seems awkward to use iPad lol.

24. macrumors member

I have used it once to take an unboxing video of my friends iBook g3 :D

25. macrumors 6502a

I know of a few augmented apps for iPhone, I sure hope they release a ipad version. That'd be sweet to have augmented driving on an iPad screen.