Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will you switch carriers for an iPhone?

• Yes - I me want iPhone now

Votes: 65 36.3%
  • Yes - when my current contract runs out

Votes: 32 17.9%
  • No - I don't care about an iPhone

Votes: 33 18.4%
  • No - Apple probably won't release the iPhone where I am

Votes: 12 6.7%
  • No - I hate cell phones

Votes: 10 5.6%
  • Other

Votes: 27 15.1%

• Total voters

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
It's for apple lemmings...to go with their 3 other ipods.

I agree.

1) You don't know what features it has.
2) You have never seen it in action in a demonstration
3) You have never seen what it looks like
4) You have never read a review or user review for it.
5) It could be just another phone with nothing particular revolutionary about it.
6) It could be $500, $600, $700, and up.

....and yet so many of you are sure you'd buy it? Why, just because it says Apple?

Isn't that a bit.....brainwashed? Heck, in many other situations, you'd be telling people what a stupid thing to do this is, and yet here you are.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
being that i'm still binded by a contract, i'm not going to switch carriers for an apple-branded phone. but i do already have cingular, so i might not have to switch after all. :)

Mammoth

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2005
Canada
I'd love to switch to Rogers or Fido so I could use an unlocked version (if that ever happens) because my provider uses CDMA and I just don't like them. And Fido has some sweet student plans anyway. The one problem is that I'm locked in for 2 years 7 months and my mom won't let me switch.

DISCOMUNICATION

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Cambridge, MA USA
noPhone for me

I hate phones. Not just cell phones, but all phones. I'd rather be talking to some one in person so I spend very little time on them. My world is pretty small. I don't have any long distance relatonships that require a lot of phone time.
I'd also rather not be weighed down by the devices I carry. I know the iPhone is all about convergance, but I really don't need to take it all with me. My Shuffle, keys, and wallet are just enough. I have a Nano, but really only take it on long trips or when I know it's gonna be a long day. I'd like to take a camera with me everywhere I go, but even the lightest cameras seem like a bit of a hastle.
Smart phones don't seem like mainstream "everyones got to have one" products. Then again if one of these shows up in a music video all the kids are gonna want one.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
When my contract runs out sometime this summer I'll see what's available then.
I'd love to get an iPhone but I won't sacrifice much to get one. They're impressive but Apple have some cheek pricing them like that. (typical)

I'm in the UK though so who knows how soon we can get them and from whom. From what I know most of the mobile providers here are pretty equal so I don't care about switching from T-Mobile to Orange or Vodafone or what have you. The service and plans are all very similar.

Also, fortunately, our (UK) mobile phones are not locked down to a network. Meaning if I get an iPhone it should work with whatever provider I choose. (thank god)

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
because the poll is from a year ago?

I'm not sure why was this thread resurrected - There are plenty of current threads on this topic....

Who knows - but I do find the age of the thread funny. I think it is back here because it got found a couple of days before the event and the hype kept it on the first page.

Anyway, at this price point, I've moved from the I will buy right away group to more of a wait and see the actual product stance.....

Motley

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2005
Probably not. I pretty much hate all providers in the U.S. and contracts. Which is why I'm on a pay as you go plan, that and I don't get a lot of calls so it's cheaper this way.

Xeem

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2005
Minnesota
I couldn't justify spending $500 AND switching carriers (T-Mobile has been good for me), not to mention the fact that I am only 6 months into a contract with my T-Mobile SDA, which I am pretty happy with.

erickkoch

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2003
Kalifornia
No.

I need a phone to make and receive calls. My current cell phone was free with the service (T-Mobile) and works just fine.

My PDA was stolen about a year ago and I never missed it, I don't need another one for $500 from Apple.

paleck

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2005
with the Tequila!
Definitely need another option "No - I'd rather slit my own wrists than deal with Cingular"

Their so called independent research is a joke. I could never go an hour without a couple dropped calls. And after they screwed me over and sent me to collections...I will never use Cingular again!!!:mad:

furcalchick

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2006
South Florida
i don't really care for the million features the iphone has. i just want a phone that makes calls, texts and some other features. my phone also has a camera, for those times where you need quick pictures, and a recorder if you want to record messages. pretty simple. the iphone is like a pda, a mini computer, and the macbook sort of suffices for me.

ShermDog

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2004
Chicago
Anyone need a kidney? I'll trade you for a phone.

What blood type are you? :D

Seriously, I would vote a qualified yes if Apple never came out with an iPod with everything the iPhone has except the phone capability and with a bigger HD. If such an iPod was released, I'm more than happy buying that, and sticking with T-Mobile.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.