Poll: Would you go to your commencement if Bush were the speaker?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Jul 31, 2006.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

...or Rove, or Rumsfeld, or Limbaugh or Coulter or any of those swine?

I gotta tell you, if it were me, I honestly don't know: on the one hand, it'd be my graduation; on the other, I know I could not simply sit there politely and listen to someone spewing crap under the guise of "advice as you go out into the world".

I'd probably go, but as part of some organized protest. I suppose booing would be the simplest, and the hardest for a university to stop. I'd see if some other students were organizing such a protest, and if they weren't, I think I'd start one myself.

2. count chocula macrumors 6502a

count chocula

i wouldn't like it, but i think i would still go. i feel the same way you do.

3. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

yes, infact Charles Kuralt was the commencement speaker at my graduation, and funny enough Eliz Dole was receiving an honorary degree too. Had both up there. Anyway IIRC CK was very outspoken against Regan, both in the press and at my graduation. I went anyway, he was a loon though!;) (I am a BIG Regan fan)
    I was so happy to graduate, Stalin or Marx could have given the speach and I would have been there!!:p

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

that is a hard one.
    on one hand it is my graduation ceremony.
    but i would have to be a part of some sort of protest. perhaps a walkout during the speach.

5. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I've never been a big fan of ceremony so I did not go to my undergrad commencement, and probably will not be going to my graduate degree commencement in December. I guess if the President (no matter which one) were the speaker I would probably go, maybe even for the Veep. I'm not a fan of either but getting to see a sitting president in person speaking is a rare event so I'd probably take the chance, either that or I'd scalp the tickets for a lot of $$$. As for the rest of them I would probably only go if I were part of a protest.

6. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

so big a fan you don't know how to spell his name?

7. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

* smirk *

To be fair...I think stu said elsewhere he's not a big fan of spelling, either.

8. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

9. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

perhaps he meant Don Regan.

10. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I had the pleasure of having Sen Sarbanes stop at our convocation as part of his farewell tour. Rep. Cummings spoke at our commencement.

Sarbanes used the time to tell us his political biography, Cummings spent his time justifying his late arrival (he didn't show up until about 60% of the way through the ceremony).

I spent the first ceremony watching the graduation speech from Steve Jobs, the second relaxing to the melodies of Led Zepplin. My parents got the joy of seeing me at graduation, I got the joy of not listening to either of those buffoons.

11. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Writers, who make a living at it, mispell words (did I just misspell mispell?)
    A quote on United Airlines recent profit announcement. it should read fuller planes not plans.
    link

12. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

13. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

celebrian23

Yep I'd go. Commencement isn't just about me- it's about all the people who helped me to get there, and you know what, Saddam cold give the speech for all I care. That's not what's actually important

14. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

15. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

As a student, no way I would go. Like atszyman I hate ceremony, and I hate W. So, I think I'd be miserable.

As a teacher, I would absolutely go. Gotta keep your politics to yourself and demonstrate to your students that you're willing to listen to them, especially if they're baby neo-cons.

16. satty macrumors 6502

Rotten tomatoes don't fly very well.
    I would try it with five week old raw eggs :)

17. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Perhaps he meant this Regan:

[​IMG]

18. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Hell I didn't go to my college graduation, but for a chance to stand and turn my back on one of those folks I'd gladly put on the sunscreen and march with the rest of the class!

19. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Bingo. I'd go, but would eventually be tossed out by the goon squad for having something untowards on my mortar board.

20. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

Could be worse, I had Bush Sr. back in the days Clinton was prez. Most of the time Bush mimicked himself.

21. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Ah you've done this before have you? :D

22. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

I'd go and bring grapes :)

easier to concele and throw. could carry more and would be harder to clean up.

Our Uni. graduation was a snore fest for me and a few others around me. The speakers were all past graduates. As is the custom of the Uni.

Hell, even my community college had Margret Mead back in the day. Well, just for a speach and not commencement. But still.

23. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

For some reason getting image of mechanical engineering students designing catapults.:cool:

24. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yep- and I'd bring a banana cream pie. :)

25. Lau Guest

I'd go, but arrange some sort of protest. Like when he stood up to do his speech, all the students turn their backs on him. :)

Edit: Ooh, ooh, actually, hulugu's point about mortar boards gave me an idea. Key people could have red squares on the top of their mortar boards, and when Bush or whoever came on, everyone bows their heads and it spells "**** you, moron" in pixel text. :p