Polygonal Lasso Tool

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bella, Oct 21, 2004.

1. bella macrumors member

Ok I have no idea why but when I do a selection in photoshop with my polygonal lasso tool it comes out all jagged when I am done - anyone know how to smoothen it out??

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Do you specify anti-aliased in your prefs? That might be it.

3. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Don't use the polygonal lasso. ;)

Polygonal lasso is for selecting objects with straight lines and sharp corners, not for smooth curves. Try the regular lasso or magnetic lasso tools.

4. NCTRNL macrumors regular

5. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

If you need to select curves, use the pen tool. It's a lot more easier to do that with the lasso tool. Just make a path with the pen tool around the area you want to select then press command to modify the anchor points with the while direct selection tool (kinda like in Illustrator) then go to the Paths pallete, right or control click the work path and choose make selection, click Ok the box and now you have the marching ants. Requires an extra step, but its a lil easier and can provide better cleaner selections. :)

6. neut macrumors 68000

neut

are you talking about the moving lines? they snap to pixels but if you anti-aliasing turned on the selection won't be jagged... it just shows what you are actually selecting. anything other than right angles may appear jagged, but when you move the selection and unselect it you can see the image is smooth.

peace.

7. scan300 macrumors 6502

The fineness of your selection will depend on the resolution of your image or how far in you have zoomed. A selection whether freeform lasso or polygonal always works at the pixel level.

8. Col. Panic macrumors member

After making your selection click "Select" in the menu bar then "Modify" then "Smooth". The higher the number you enter in the dialog box the smoother your selection outlines will become.