Polyurethane or Leather

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Tech198, Jun 7, 2011.

1. macrumors 603

Which is better for the ipad 2? As you guys would have more expierence this area than me.

I'm thinking of getting one just on a "14 day trial" basis from Apple, just to play around with it, see how i like it etc..

You can do that in store, I know, limiting. But still, this ways eaiser.

2. macrumors 6502a

Funkymonk

neither. smart covers are a waste of money. get a proper case NOT made by apple

3. macrumors 65816

Polyurethane is obviously better for several reasons.

4. macrumors newbie

This

5. macrumors 68040

Apple OC

The Cows would agree :D

6. macrumors G3

Not really. I find it to be very useful. YMMV

7. macrumors 6502

Leather.

8. macrumors 6502a

I have leather and I find it pretty bad. Leather is coming apart. The area around the hinge is also coming apart, where soon entire leather flap will disconnect from iPad. Leather surface looks like worn wallet too. And this is for a device that I keep in a 13" encase bag, with soft inner walls...

9. macrumors 68000

hitekalex

Just another guy's opinion. I have leather smart cover and I love it.

10. macrumors member

I returned my blue poly cover after a week of use, it was already starting to look old And dirty. My black leather is perfect though

11. macrumors 68020

Mlrollin91

I have the blue poly. Have had it since launch and it is still in perfect condition. I really want to get a red leather, but I hear that it stains really easily and tends to fade and bleed.

12. macrumors 68030

I'm not sure i'd buy the leather again but do like the smart cover. The leather is wearing haaaaard. Good thing it has a warranty. I actually got leather thinking the poly would get filthy quickly.

I have the red. If it doesn't separate, I don't care. I like distressed leather, but I also don't wAnt it to be pink...we will see how it is in a couple months, but be prepared to have to exchange it potentially.

13. macrumors 65816

And ur wallet.

14. macrumors 65816

pagansoul

I got the lime green off ebay for $30 and love it. I also purchased a green back cover for $5. It's been a month and I don't have problems with keeping it clean.

15. macrumors newbie

I have the gray plastic one. The leather was just too expensive for my tastes. Just remember you're getting a screen cover, not a full case. If you, like me, don't care if the aluminum back gets scuffed up a bit, you'll like the smart cover.

16. macrumors 6502a

I bought a red leather cover and after a week it looked horrible. I returned it within the 14 day window. I've since tried it again, but this time treated it immediately with a leather protective spray. Now, after 2 months, it still looks great, and I handle it a lot through out the day.

As far as exchanging it after a couple months if you don't like the way it's wearing, you might not be able to. Normal wear and tear doesn't justify a replacement typically. I tried to replace a bumper for the same reason and was told no. The smart covers may be handled differently, particularly with so many unhappy customers that are probably out there.

17. macrumors G4

Small White Car

I can't understand why someone would want an iPad without a smart cover. I didn't really want an iPad 1 because I never found a good way to stand it up and protect the screen in my bag. Smart Covers solved those problems very well and I love them.

And get the poly. I'm beating mine up fairly well, I'm certain it would look MUCH worse if it were leather.

18. macrumors 6502a

Benbikeman

Leather for sure - it continues to look good as it wears.

19. macrumors 6502

REM314

Because the Smart Cover doesn't protect the iPad.

20. macrumors 6502

Poly. The leather gets scratched up looking, and the dyes will fade per Apple's own admission. I use a smart cover with ghost armor front and back. Great combination.

21. macrumors newbie

I'm having the same problem. Some very careful applications of superglue (cover removed) seems to be keeping it from coming completely apart.

22. macrumors member

Went from the black leather to the blue poly. Leather was way too high maintenance...

23. macrumors G3

It protects both front or back sides from getting scratched when set down on any surface, acts as two different stands, and makes it a lot more comfortable to hold one handed in portrait mode. Add in the instant wake and I dig it.

24. macrumors regular

Wat about weight?

How much weight do these covers add to the iPad? Leather? Poly? An ounce or two here and there can really make a difference at certain times.

25. macrumors 6502

tried the smart cover, didn't like it so returned it and went with the leather targus vuscape that kinda clips on the back and covers the front and i've found it cheaper too!