Pondering about PCs

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by carbonmotion, Sep 9, 2006.

1. carbonmotion macrumors 6502a

Jan 28, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Hi guys,

As much of a Mac fanboy as I am, I do admit, there are times when PCs are just more bang for the buck.... take gaming if you will... I love FEAR, Quake 4, and Half Life 2.... but such games won't run well with all the eye candies turned on without a mac pro and a beefy video card. To buy a Mac Pro just to play the latest pc games is waaay to much of an investment... I want to build a gaming rig based around a sweet mid range video card such as the ATI x1900 or the Nvida 7900 ... I guess im left with two options, which is why I'm here polling for advice...

Should I

A) go on dell.com and buy one of their going out of style soon Pentium D systems with a 20" lcd for around 800 bucks and then upgrade the ram, video card, physics card, and sound card myself

or alternatively....

B) build an AMD system from scratch to around the same specs.... I've built 20 rigs before so I consider myself pretty handy when it comes to computer building...

Future needs.... I forsee the need to upgrade to a DX10 video card with windows vista and the need to run games with most or all the eye candy turned on for the next two years or so...

Here are the things that I already have: a black tower with a 500 watt power supply, Audigy sound card, and 80 watt 2.1 speakers

Here are the things that I would like to have: 20" wide lcd, 64bit cpu, 1 gig of ram and the ability to bittorent as well as run games smoothly

I'd maybe also like to have a physix card.... but thats optional..

I would like for all of this to cost under 1300 us dollars...

Here are the things that I won't do on this computer: serious work... all of that is done on my powerbooks.

which do you think will be the better option A or B and why? or if your answer is neither, what would you recommend? Thanks in advance for your advice, I really appreciate coming here rather then going to the geek squad....

2. MalcolmJID macrumors 6502a

Nov 1, 2005
    Option B, mate!

Completely customisable gives you complete choice of what goes into your machine.

Try and choose high-mid sort of components, that way, you aren't paying top dollar for components, yet you know you're gonna be having a PC that will last.

I'm also a big fan of AMD chips, so go for it!
  3. Toreador93 macrumors regular

Sep 14, 2003
    You will definitely get a better bang for your buck if you build your own.

Shop around newegg, you'll find some good deals, they ship fast, and I hear they are great if you need to return something.