poo! I've messed up Safari's font!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Dagless, Oct 21, 2005.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

right! I just got Tiger back up and running, i copied over my fonts folder, without replacing old fonts... and this happened!

god im so stupid! how did I do this and how do i fix it? it happens on at least 2 sites I regularly visit, everything's fine here though

Attached Files:

2. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

ooh and also, I cant extract .sit files since formatting. only I cant remember what I used to use before! any recommendations? :)

edit: nevermind! it was stuffit i was after. still, fonts are messed up! help! :(

3. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

Just reset Safari from the menu bar, that should fix it.

Good luck!

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Is it only happening on sites where there is no font specified by the site's css? What are the fonts set to in Safari preferences?

I'm not sure that resetting Safari would solve this issue....it would only solve this issue if the problem is somehow with a cookie or cached content.

You might try: quitting Safari, spotlighting "com.apple.safari.plist," moving this file to the desktop, and then restarting Safari. You may lose some settings this way, though.... :(

5. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Its still happening guys :( I did find out that my "Aliens" font was the font safari had changed too. So i removed that totally from my system and it changes to this *see screeny*

Actually, could it be lovely possible if one of you Tiger users with working fonts in Safari to zip up your font list and send it to me :) my guess is that I overwrote an important font.

Attached Files:

6. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

What's wrong with that? It looks very... futuristic :p

I'll zip up my fonts and put them somewhere online, if no one else beats me to it. (Which, with my rather pathethic upload bandwith, should be very likely).

7. paulypants macrumors 6502a

paulypants

You need to download a free version of Stuffit Expander to unzip files. It isn't included in Tiger.

8. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Anyone? :)

So nobody knows how to fix this? It is a bit of a strange and probably rare problem...

9. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

Check your PM.

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

We're still talking about the fonts, right?

Two more questions: 1) Did you install fonts for the system or for your user? 2) Did you install them using Font Book, or did you manually drop them in a fonts folder (sounds like the latter).

If possible, when you do get this fixed, consider using Font Book and adding all the new fonts into a new collection, so that you can quickly and easily disable it if you want to. I'm sorry...I don't mean that as a lecture. Just as a way to avoid the issue in the future.

If no one can provide you with a working fonts folder, another option is always to use something along the lines of Pacifist to re-install all fonts from your install discs....

Also, dumb question, but you repaired permissions after you installed all these fonts, right, assuming that you did it manually? It is quite probable that your font permissions are wrong as a result of copying them manually, and if that's the case, then you might be getting this because Safari isn't being allowed access to the fonts it needs. I don't actually know if repair permissions will fix this. Fonts should have the -rw-rw-r-- permissions, and they should be owned by root:admin. So if that is not the case, then you should also try applying those permissions and ownership to everything in the fonts folder.

11. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

sorted, sort of!

dubbz I'm downloading the fonts now thanks :) really, cheers for that!
    mkrishnan Call me a bloody fool but I KNEW I was supposed to use Fontbook, i knew it existed I knew all about it. But for some reason my brain wanted me to drag over the fonts from before!

thanks guys!

im downloading dubbz wonderful font package now, I opened up Fontbook and removed ALL my fonts apart from 2 (Geneva, Lucida Grande). booted up Google and everything was fine. ok I only have 2 fonts, but everything works! :)

12. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

I suck

Unfortunately, my wonderful font package is missing some fonts... I'm not really sure how that happened :eek:

I'm uploading them to the same directory as TigerFonts.zip. Should be 9 more .zips there in the nearest hour or two.

Edit: Most of them are Asian fonts.

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think Dubbz deserves some kind of Macrumor-member-of-the-week award, or something! :D