Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you have Graphic Card Issue on New 2016 15" ?

• Total voters

Reflexiste

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 21, 2015
Belgium
Thank you for sharing your opinion on your MBP 15" to identify the issue of the Graphic Card 2016.

anson42

Contributor
Mar 13, 2014
Oakland, CA
455 here, no issues. What do the unrecoverable GPU reset loops look like? Failure to boot up or log in? Is this a situation where disabling FileVault does not help? Not that disabling FileVault is a good workaround, IMO.

Ricc

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2016
2.9GHz/460 here.. and getting unrecoverable GPU reset loops on the Radeon.
Do you have iCloud Photo Library activated? For me the panics occur when the upload process runs and "ImageConversionService" maxes out the GPU

speedbumpnv

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
They told me to take it to an Apple Store, but no reservations are available until next week...

Might have something to do with the recent iPhone repair program launches.

If the Apple Store is reasonably close by, its worth just stopping in to see if they can fit you in. I have had success with going in and getting a spot even though reservations were full for the next several days. They might feel sorry for you since you are having trouble with a new machine.

With respect to the OP, I wish I could vote in the poll, but sadly, my computer won't be here until mid December :(

shadow82x

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2012
New Jersey
460 here, had some very minor artifacts in some videos and images. Got a replacement (for another reason) and haven't noticed it on here. Software or hardware? Seems some units are unaffected so it could be hardware.

Drecca

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2010
460 here, and I get weird black bars in google sheets. And sometimes a red bar in safari. And on boot up. I'm thinking it's driver related.

emmgr23

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2016
Maybe is sierra, I had the same problem with my mbp 15 2013 when I plugged external screen , I just reinstalled El Capitan, and Everything fine , "graphic issue" was the problem of sierra during the beta

JoelTheSuperior

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2014
If you're getting replacements and they're unaffected I'd be willing to wager that AMD are putting out bad chips again.

koyoot

macrumors 603
Jun 5, 2012
Guys, are the AMD Radeon GPUs active when you get the glitches, and errors?

Because all of this can be related to... Intel iGPUs.

shadow82x

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2012
New Jersey
Guys, are the AMD Radeon GPUs active when you get the glitches, and errors?

Because all of this can be related to... Intel iGPUs.
When I experienced it on my returned MBP I believe it was the iGPU. Probably has nothing to do with the AMD graphics.

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
Mac Pro tower users have been using the same Polaris graphics drivers with he desktop 460, 470 and 480 cards. I did it with a 470. We haven't noted any of these terrible glitches so it doesn't look like a driver issue.

Reactions: pier

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
460 here, had some very minor artifacts in some videos and images. Got a replacement (for another reason) and haven't noticed it on here. Software or hardware? Seems some units are unaffected so it could be hardware.

Same for me. I exchanged for a new machine with the same 460 card and no issues so far!

Reflexiste

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 21, 2015
Belgium
This is very worrying as a result already at this stage: 1 MBP pro 460 out of 2 is defective! Wooaw
I start wondering if I will not cancel my order for my MBP pro 460.

voyagerd

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2002
Rancho Cordova, CA
But was it active, or system tried to launch it, and failed to do so? Because thats what can cause the glitches.

It had been active already for some time according to iStat Menus. A user in another thread isolated the issue that multiple people including myself are facing.

Ok,
I have this problem. All the .gpurestart and kernel panic logs in Console point to an interaction between "com.apple.photos.ImageConversionService" and the discrete video card.

My large Photos library is uploading in the background.
The Apple Support person hasn't heard of this problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.