Poop clogging San Francisco escalators

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by obeygiant, Jul 28, 2012.

1. macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Poop Responsible For Breaking Feces-Clogged Equipment

What a nice time to be a san franciscan.

2. macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

3. macrumors member

espiritujo

With the removing of Medical Marijuana dispensaries in LA and now this Californian's are having to go through alot of ***** lately..

4. macrumors 68040

tech4all

I'm a bit confused here, exactly where did they find the waste if they found it when they "opened it up?"

Loved the BART pictures. :rolleyes: :p

5. thread starter macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Well all the escalators have a "return" area where the steps turn over and ride back in a closed loop. that area must have been full of ****.

6. macrumors Core

MacNut

How can you not smell it, its not like the escalator is that enclosed. And wouldn't there be skid marks on the skids.

7. macrumors regular

i stop at the 16th St Station a few times every week.

the above ground area on the Walgreens side is an amazing little microcosm. you can buy almost anything there.

until the article in the Chronicle, i kept wondering where all of the pets were that were not getting curbed.

now, i know.

8. macrumors G3

rhett7660

That is pretty ****** and I can only imagine the smell. Ugh :eek:

9. macrumors 65816

That's why I avoid public transportation. Until the general American public learns to treat public areas like the Japanese...

10. macrumors 65816

Nightarchaon

given that many Americans (and British, and Europeans) treat there own homes like this, i'm not surprised that public spaces, which are "someone else's Problem" are in a state, there is a "western" mentality, particularly prevalent in the english speaking world, that everything is disposable if you own it, or destoyable if you don't because the pixies will clean/replace/repair it.

Respect for each other, ones surroundings, and our fellow man has, for the most part, been ignored in the pursuit of the extra fast buck, or latest western convenience item you don't really need.

Wouldn't surprise me if the crap was from business men crapping on the escalator to save time in their busy day.:D

11. macrumors 68040

tech4all

It would be better if they would use plastic seats and hard flooring for BART. Although from my experience my BART rides haven't been that bad.

But I will say, when walking in the city, be careful where you step. I've seen some "odd things" there. I swear Market Street is so freaking dirty it's making feel sick now...

12. macrumors 603

notjustjay

13. macrumors member

You might be waiting awhile on that one. I spent almost a year in Japan and it was remarkable to me how they view the public space outside their home as not theirs to do with as they please.

Of course the percentage of homeless in the US is much greater than in Japan (.2% vs. .02%, roughly), so there are fewer people there treating the city sidewalks as their "home".

14. thread starter macrumors 68040

obeygiant

The San Francisco homeless ≠ American public. The bums in SF proper have a higher sense of entitlement-- i.e. they **** where the city has to clean it up because they like to let you know they're there. :)

15. macrumors G3

rhett7660

16. macrumors 6502

Yet to have a more thoughtful and egalitarian society doing things like eschewing public transit out of a misplaced sense of entitlement is as antisocial and selfish as sh/tting in the escalator.

17. macrumors 68040

chrf097

Thank you for posting this on a site about computers. This exact CNN/FOX/ABC/BBC/NPR breaking news is exactly what us computer geeks need to read.

All sarcasm aside, this is actually a really interesting story. Just the headline made me scream in my head "WHERE IS THE POOP EVEN COMING FROM?!" and I had to read more. :)

18. macrumors G4

Shame they didn't leave it there. In 3 months time it would have made perfect compost. Each escalator could have become a moving garden :)

19. thread starter macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Poop comes out of buttholes.

20. macrumors 68040

chrf097

I was reading it as "elevators" not "escalators"

21. macrumors 65816

aarond12

Wow. I have been doing it wrong all these years. I could just poop on the floor instead of walking all the way to the bathroom! :rolleyes:

BTW: *their

22. macrumors 6502a

rbrian

Here's a crazy idea... how about putting toilets in the stations?

23. macrumors G4

The truly amazing thing about this article to me is that there's public transport in California.

24. macrumors 6502

What a weird thing to say. Maybe you have never been there to think that?

25. macrumors newbie