Poor 12" iBook display?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Demon Hunter, Oct 9, 2005.

1. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Mar 30, 2004
    Hi guys, my dad just bought a 12" iBook for work. He doesn't seem to care much, but his display seems very shoddy. I compared it to my 17" PowerBook and it was a sad sight to behold. The lower part of the screen seems darker, and even with the same color profiles (sRGB) the iBook seems to have a pinkish hue. The brightness is also poor compared to the PowerBook, but that is to be expected, right?

I also compared it with a 1.0GHz 12" PowerBook (Rev. B), and the brightness of the iBook was better, thank goodness.

Is this standard fare for 12" iBooks?
  2. stefan15 macrumors regular

Oct 2, 2005
    Isn't sRGB always somewhat "pinkish" when compared to 9300K [are the PB's 9300K?]
  3. NewSc2 macrumors 65816

Jun 4, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    uh huh, the Powerbook display is one of the best I've seen. At least Mac OSX looks better than Windows XP in general, so 12" iBook doesn't look *that* bad~
  4. skubish macrumors 68030

Feb 2, 2005
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    My only complaint about my ibook is that the screen is not super bright. It is bright enough for general use but sometimes I would like it brighter. I thought the 12"PB looked no different than the 12" iBook. I sure the 17"PB is better though.
  5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    You really ought to manually calibrate it rather than using sRGB before you draw conclusions... In any event though, I have been very happy with the correspondence between my iBook screen and digital prints, with some calibration effort. I actually think the color is more believable than the 1905FP in the lab, although the latter is obviously much brighter.