Poor 6800 GT Performance...

Discussion in 'Games' started by invaLPsion, Nov 19, 2004.

1. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

Hmmm....

Installed the 6800 GT and I played Stalingrad on Call of Duty. It dipped as low as 8 FPS (1280 by 1024, everything at MAX.) It's roughly the same as my old 9600 XT. :(

In addition, there were some graphics issues on Stalingrad, weird blobs were appearing once where bullet impacts from planes should have been.

FIX YOUR DRIVERS, APPLE! :mad:

2. invaLPsion thread starter macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

More fuel to the fire...

The performace on Stalingrad is worse than my brother's AMD Athlon 3000+ with a 5900XT. :(

3. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

i hate to say this, but, hows it look at 10 by 7 or 800 by 600?

4. Maclarny macrumors 6502

Maclarny

One level in COD and you complain? I'll take your graphics card if you don't like it.

5. invaLPsion thread starter macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

Same FPS exactly, just this time it looks way worse. :eek:

6. neonart macrumors 65816

neonart

Something is wrong. I run CoD at 16x12 all high and I've never experienced bad frame rates.

7. invaLPsion thread starter macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

Yup, I've summized as much. :)

Bleh, apparently Tiger is going to have brand new 6800 drivers from what I can gather at the Apple Support Forums...

Ughh.... :eek:

8. Maclarny macrumors 6502

Maclarny

Drivers make a big difference. ATI has had their act together for a while with respect to the MAC platform whereas Apple/Nvidia still need quite a bit of work. Mac 6800 owners will not even begin to glimpse their cards true potential til Tiger is released.

9. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

Again, it's not MAC. -_-

10. JasonL macrumors regular

Give the guy a break.

11. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Mac,mac,maC,MAc, who care's how someone uses the word we all know what the person means. InvalPsion sorry hear about your 6800GT problems.Maybe this is why apple is still pushing those fx5200's because they have not done their work yet on the new drivers. It really sucks to have a new card with no performance increase. I wonder if the Mac version of call of duty has a seperate path to use the features and power of the 6800? i bet it dont. Try other titles and see if its the same with them. :(

12. invaLPsion thread starter macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

No, it's not. A card of this power should be running a lot better especially when pushed by two 2.5GHz Processors. It's obviously a software issue that needs to be remedied.

13. invaLPsion thread starter macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

I will be trying WoW on the 23rd.

14. neonart macrumors 65816

neonart

invaLPsion try my settings except for the resolutions and see what you get. I have a couple of things set just slightly lower which do not detract from the graphics.

Char Textures High
    General Textures High
    Texture Filter Bilinear
    Texture Quality 32 Bit

Wall Marks On
    Eject Brass On
    Dynamic light Everything
    W Dynamic Light Nicest
    Model Detail High
    Sync No
    Blood No
    # of Corp Medium

With these settings the lowest I saw at Stalingrad was in the 20's, but no choppiness. The highest was in the low 60's.

Here is a screenshot (resized for web):

Attached Files:

• CoD.jpg
      CoD.jpg
      File size:
      79.8 KB
      Views:
  15. invaLPsion thread starter macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

Lowest in 20s, occured about 3 times.

Max of 110 FPS

Avg. around 40-50...

16. applekid macrumors 68020

We have to wait for new drivers until Tiger? :(

I'll assume there will be yet another 10.3.x release for some more driver improvements.

17. neonart macrumors 65816

neonart

Thats not too bad. My setup peaked at 80-100fps at 1280x1024. And the average is in the 30's and 40's.

With better drivers you should be able to squeeze more out of your machine. That is THE worst level in that game for framerates. Inside the mansion you would probably be in the 200's with these settings.

I've tweaked the RAM cache settings through the console. Nothing that was too noticeable, but it may help. It's called com_hunkmegs. Don't go past 999, or the game won't start. Use at your own risk. :eek:

Here is a list of console commands and explanations:

http://www.boodizm.net/cod/cvars.asp

Look for the section that says "Options used for tweaking the game for better frame rates" (Most are for weaker machines, but it's cool to know.)

18. invaLPsion thread starter macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

I think I'll just wait for real drivers. Apparently the drivers in implementation currently aren't even really 6800 drivers, just modded FX5200 drivers. We'll have to wait till Tiger for drivers tailor made specifically for the 6800 series.

19. benpatient macrumors 68000

how sad that they get people to pay so much for premium product and throw them left-overs for support and software.

worse than M$ sometimes...

20. crap freakboy macrumors 6502a

crap freakboy

damn shame...really surprised to be honest how Apple get away with releasing hardware without giving decent drivers. Perhaps I expect too much.
    Suppose this is one of the reasons I've decided on getting the next rev iMac and Xbox instead of getting a Dual G5...late games, bad drivers, bad ports and the rest have forced me to realise that Macs aint for gaming. Although I will miss playing online its something I'll have to get over. Latest Call of Duty for Xbox looks sooo cool, can't wait.
    Xbox Call of Duty -Finest Hour Screenshot

21. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

Me too. The beta performed pretty badly on my 6800/Dual 2 GHZ G5's, usually 15-20 fps. I just hope it is playable until new drivers come out and Blizzard enables the pixels shaders.

22. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

For crap-ass performance from a $500 video card, I think he has the right to complain.

23. Anarchy99 macrumors 6502

look at the tiger pre releases apples busy doing great work
    a better driver will come but why bitch about it its not like the mac gfx card moves as fast as the pc market that card will be best for months maybe more
    whoever buys it around know should have read about it and learned that right now until the not so distant future the driver sucks and don't expect everything to be perfect

24. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

You buy a card expecting it to work. You don't want to wait 7 months (assuming most widely thought WWDC tiger release) for the thing to work!

25. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I always thought that Apple has been blessed with one of the most forgiving customer bases. Sorry to hear that the drivers are so bad, it's lame to buy an uber-video card and have the machine talk to it as if it was the 5200.

:(