Poor M$/XBox

Discussion in 'Community' started by Stike, Nov 18, 2002.

1. Stike macrumors 65816

Jan 31, 2002
    Stupid Microsoft. Perhaps you have read about the 85 % profit margin on Windows, and the losses the company makes on ALL other business parts. They plan to flood the market because they - simply said - have unlimited money.

Today I was at a large store for electronics/comps etc. and I encountered an eerie looking guy roaming around between the PS2 and the XBox games. He had an official name plate with "XBox" on it, and a black (of course) XBox shirt. Then he grabbed the next uninformed guy talking to him all the time that XBox was the best system and blah you know the rest.
    He also asked me if I wanted infos on the box and I told him "I´m quite good informed on the XBox" and went on to the PS2 games.

Thats a shame! The box isn´t doing well, just like the Dreamcast, but where Sega hadn´t enough money to push it, M$ uses sheer money power. THIS SUCKS!

It is quite embarrassing to see such blatant and aggressive acquisition of customers, especially during the christmas shopping season. This is just the proof for me that the XBox is going down down down and M$ tries to force it by flooding the market.

Is it just in Europe that way, or in the U.S. or anywhere else too? Any XBox shirt sightings?

P.S.: The guy he was talking to was disappointed by his Dreamcast and the xbox guy granted his new xbox a far longer life... :eek: :rolleyes: :mad:

Time to visit the store with a PS2 shirt! :D
  2. krossfyter macrumors 601

Jan 13, 2002
    secret city
  3. macphisto macrumors regular

Jun 29, 2002
    At home
    An how. PS2 has some nice games, but Nintendo rules the roost.

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Then that'll be good news for those of us waiting for the games MS is releasing as XBox only to be ported to PC/Mac platforms.

And think of all the losses MS will suffer if they do wind it down, sort of makes me happy.

Sidenote: if the XBox isn't doing so well, then the game companies MS purchased to do XBox games are probably also suffering. Hopefully they survive and get spun back out if the XBox get canned.
  5. scem0 macrumors 604

Jul 16, 2002
    back in NYC!
    The original nintendo owns...... It doesn't get better then
    the original mario game.... Not for me at least. WHo cares about
    graphics when you can play original mario?
  6. AssassinOfGates macrumors 6502

Jul 17, 2002
    A cardboard box.
    PS2 and my mac are all i need. GTA Vice City, DOA2, and a bunch of shooter games. Those and all the legacy Nintendo systems.

/me remembers the Mario Bros. theme....
  7. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

Apr 12, 2002
    Super Mario Bros. 1-3 rule in gaming, although some would question whether 2 belongs on the throne with the others.
  8. Thirteenva macrumors 6502a

Jul 18, 2002
    You did here that microsoft is(was in the process of) purchasing RARE which is responsible for producing most of the best selling nintendo games ever.

RARE said they gave nintendo the opportunity to purchase the company but they didn't make a move. So MS swooped right in.
  9. diorio macrumors 6502a

Aug 22, 2002
    Super Nintendo is better than the evil box of microsoft, and it's 5 years older. It I were to buy a system today it would probably be the PS2.
  10. monkeydo_jb macrumors 6502

Apr 17, 2002
    Columbia, MO
    I have all 3. I don't prefer any of them.

All I care about is the games.

Metroid comes out today, I have it reserved :D

GTA 3, Vice City, DOA3, HALO, Mario Sunshine, Devil May Cry, Onimusha, Onimusha 2, FFX, Tony Hawk 3 & 4, etc.

If it's good, I'll play it.

Sadly the XBox is owned by M$, but it has the best graphics, period.

11. springscansing macrumors 6502a

Oct 13, 2002
    New York
    ps2 has the best games IMO, but Gamecube has some really neet stuff as well. xBox has what... Halo? Halo 2? Now I know that's an exaggeration, but it's still junk.
  12. Stike thread starter macrumors 65816

Jan 31, 2002
    ...but you must admit that the performance of all three systems is quite equal, and the graphics of the Xbox aren´t THAT much better, right?
  13. diorio macrumors 6502a

Aug 22, 2002
    If they are so good, how come people still prefer to buy PS2 instead of XBOX?
  14. Stike thread starter macrumors 65816

Jan 31, 2002
    Easy. The Box GFX aren´t significantly better. And the people who have PSOne games want to be able to still use them, so they buy the PS2. And, more than that, the PS2 is much better known and placed in the market than Microsoft´s "good" name. Nintendo lost market share because of the weak N64, but has a better name for producing quality games.

Rare, for instance, was producing no good software recently, so the big N gave them away. That´s business.

Another argument: The people already "love" M$ for Windows, so I don´t think they want MS on their TV-Set for gaming too.
    In that store I mentioned above, I was playing around with WIN XP and there was a benchmarking program on the desktop. I launched it and suddenly the screen size and colors screwed up (640x480x8bit?) and there was an error message that some .dll couldn´t be found... :D LOL
    I left the comp in that state, and the people were passing by as if they were USED TO that view! Now ain´t that SAD!?!?!
  15. evildead macrumors 65816

Jun 18, 2001
    WestCost, USA

The problem with Nintendo is That they are faing to chage with the times. They still make games for kids.. and unfortunaly.. games are not for kids anymore. You have to be an exoperiace gammer to play most modern games and have pretty good problem solving skills for any of the new stratagy games. The averge age gamer wants to play Halo... not Luigis Magic castle. Even the xBox made a contoller far too big for a child to hold... they recently came out with on that is made for little people.

I my self am not a gamer but I know that many people my age are. Often my budies can be found pounding beers and playing multi player Halo on the xbox.... and they are not even geeks like I am.
  16. krossfyter macrumors 601

Jan 13, 2002
    secret city
    Re: Nintendo

correct me if im wrong but isnt Nintendo pro family? thats why most game they have are labled "kiddie games". i think nintendo is going agains the game by creating games that can appeal and be okay for the whole family as oppose to creating the typical violent shoot um up videos that every other console company caters too. some of the kiddie games are actually pretty challenging for adults. not all nintendo games have a kiddie image though but so what if they do.
  17. barkmonster macrumors 68020

Dec 3, 2001
    Wasn't there a news story a few years ago about a government intervention against a low cost airline because it's larger sister company could leverage the costs down to way below their competition by making more profits off their main airline and using those profits to sell their other services at a loss.

I think it was British Airways and Easyjet but not sure of the details.

Surely if that was unfair business practice and non competitive behavour then what M$ are doing and always have done in one way or another is just as bad and they should be forced to lower prices of all the software with high mark up and charge more realistic prices for their other products, this would kill the Xbox for sure but who cares. This is another anti-trust case waiting to happen if you ask me.
  18. job macrumors 68040

Jan 25, 2002
    in transit
    Nintendo is the only console to support HD games...

If you want HD games on the X-Box, you are going to have to pay through the nose for an adapter.

Don't even think about HD games on a PS2.