poor performance after instalation of Encore/ST 1.7 GHZ

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Neely, Jan 2, 2005.

1. Neely macrumors newbie

Jan 2, 2005
    I am new to this site and not experienced when it comes to hardware installation. I just completed installing the Enccore/ST 1.7 GHZ processor upgrade. The computer keeps hanging, prticularly when using safari and then stops responding. The firmware is the correct one (no upgrade was necessary), so I am not sure what is the problem and would appreciate some help.

I have the G4 AGP Graphics, 30GB with an additional 60 GB internal hard drive (Western Digital 7200 RPM), and the original video card (RAGE 128pro) which I intend to upgrade to the RAEDON 9000 pro once I solve this issue. System software Mac OS 10.3.7

2. jwdawso macrumors regular

Jan 13, 2002
    Cache speed or memory

Usually hanging is either due to the cache speed being too high or there is main memory that cannot handle the higher speed. Did you run the tune-up application from Sonnet's CD? I'm not familiar with the Sonnet tools, but if you can disable the cache, then see if it still hangs. If it doesn't hang, then the cache speed is the problem. If it does still hang, if the tool allows you to slow the processor speed, slow it down to ~1Ghz and test if it hangs. If it doesn't hang, then probably it's the memory. Then swap out the memory to see if you can test it at full speed without hanging. If it doesn't hang, then the memory that is swapped out is probably the problem.

Good luck!
  3. Neely thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 2, 2005
    Thank you for the reply. I called sonnet. They suggested I replace the card as it may be defective. I guess I will know for sure once I install the new one.

Thanks again
  4. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

May 3, 2004
    Hamilton, Ontario (CANADA)
    i don't think you posted how much RAM you have. How much do you have?
  5. Neely thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 2, 2005