Poor Planning and Corruption Hobble Reconstruction of Iraq

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Sep 17, 2005.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

is this a sign of things to come in NOLA?

and if things are going this badly in the relatively peaceful city of najaf, how much worse are things going in the rest of iraq?

2. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

yeah...

sounds right

3. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Funny you should mention that...

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-money17sep17,1,5736422.story

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Sounds like some of the subs I've worked with...

So let me see if I've got this straight: Vote Republican because we're more fiscally prudent? They think they can be trusted more than the folks who brought us smaller government and federal surpluses? I'm surprised the Democrats aren't marketing this angle more. Fiscal conservatives ripe for the picking if the radical right keeps heading down the Might of Religion path.

Democrats for decades have been labeled "tax'n'spenders" by the right effectively. But the GOP is the party of "cut taxes 'n' spend" as well as the party of bigger government. That needs to be pinned on every Republican running for office in '06 along with running on the idea of reforming government.

And I don't see it happening. The Democrats are still a bunch of spineless cowards. The country is demanding a pullout from Iraq, but are the Democrats? Here or there one will say something tepid about it, but that's it. The idea of repealing the Bush tax cuts is getting steam, but the Democrats aren't taking advantage of that either.

I hear some state and local Democrats are getting this message out, but it's not making the national stage. It's about time to draw up some kind of Contract on America stuff that will lay out where the Democrats would go (without being to specific on anything ;) ) and that will give a lot of people reason to remember that they've generally done better under a Democrat than under a Republican. Grow a spine, take a stand. Realize that you will have to anger a good third of the country and that they have loud microphones. But do it anyway.

5. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

Corruption >>> seemingly, the only growth industry left in this sad world.