Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ScottyB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2005
Hi. I did an initial search of the forums, but haven't found an answer to a problem I'm having. I have a large mp3 library (about 250GB so far), and I'm having problems with playback quality. The files are 192kb mp3's, and they sound great when I burn a CD, or transfer them to my iPod. However, when listening through iTunes, it pops and crackles, and sometimes slows WAY up.

To be fair, I'm running a 3.0 GHz P4 (Windoze XP). I know, I know, but it's all I've got. :) I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas about getting this problem straightened out. Do you think I need a dedicated mp3 server to keep the files off of my internal HD?

Thanks for your help.

ScottyB

nomad01

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2005
Birmingham, England
ScottyB said:
To be fair, I'm running a 3.0 GHz P4 (Windoze XP). I know, I know, but it's all I've got. :) I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas about getting this problem straightened out. Do you think I need a dedicated mp3 server to keep the files off of my internal HD?

Well my library is nowhere near as large but my iTunes machine is a 1.5GHz P4 running XP and it's been fine.

I've had a quick look on Apple's support site and can't see any restrictions on library sizes. What version of iTunes are you running?

Maybe have a look at this:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93610

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
iTunes for Windows is much much slower than iTunes for Mac. You'd probably have a faster library if you bought a new Mac mini and an external drive (because minis only go up to 80GB). :)

DaftUnion

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2005
Wisconsin
If your on windows, it sounds like it's highly likely that it's an issue with your sound card, or sound drivers. Look into this! I had a computer once that did this and since I had the same music on two computers, I know it probably is related to this.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
ScottyB said:
I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas about getting this problem straightened out.
A couple of things to check.

Fragmentation/free space on your hard drive. Windows really doesn't like to have the main hard drive over 80% full and when you run under these conditions for a while, even NTFS partitions get horribly fragmented. You can use CONTIG.EXE from sysinternals.com to defrag individual files and see if it makes a difference, or do a full defrag on C:

What else is your system doing at the time and what sound card do you have in your system? I know that I can't listen to iTunes on my home XP box without the kind of symptoms you are experiencing if I am doing anything even remotely disk or CPU intensive, and I blame this primarily on my crappy sound card that needs CPU attention. I get better results mutlitasking with iTunes on a old 750 MHz PIII box with a "smarter" sound card than my 3.0 GHz PIV.

Of course my iBook does even better. Go with mad jew's suggestion. ;)

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.