Poor reception on 3 network with iOS 7

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by bluewomble88, Sep 20, 2013.

1. macrumors regular

Hi

Since I upgraded to iOS 7 my signal strength in my home has dropped to one spot continuously. Before I was getting at least 4 bars all the time. What's happened?

2. macrumors 6502

Works fine for me when I had my 5; same as ios6 - same on my 5S. Try resetting network settings.

3. macrumors newbie

Very poor and not stable reception on 3

Same symptoms. After upgrading to iOS 7 on my iPhone 4s I am constantly straggling with mobile reception.

4. macrumors 6502

Mess

I seem to have the same issue! Really irritating! :mad:

5. macrumors newbie

I'm getting similar one minute its 1 bar, airplane mode on/off shoots to 5 bars...

6. GoofyCyborg, Oct 16, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2013

macrumors member

I would take the signal strength indicator with a pinch of salt, it's not accurate at all! Upstairs I have always had 4 bars of signal on iOS 6 yet on iOS 7 I get 3.

When holding any other make phone all be it android I get full bars.

I also noticed if I go from a poor signal to great signal areas while the phone is locked the signal strength shows the level of service at the point it last locked. Unlock the phone and it then shows the signal level as it is there and then.

I am on 3 uk network.

7. macrumors 6502

Is it worth checking with 3 to make sure nothing is happening in terms of work or issues with the transmitter in your area?

8. macrumors demi-god

Gav2k

No issues during beta or gm for me but I've done clean installs except gm to 7.0.2

9. macrumors regular

It's just a signal indicator. Most likely they tweaked how the system interprets the real signal strength to be more conservative. I.e. When you get 4 bars at -92dBm previously, the iOS7 file interprets that it's only 3 bars and shows 3 bars. Nothing to worry about it's all psychological.

10. macrumors 68020

John T

As has already been said, the so-called signal strength indicator is pretty basic and can hardly be referred to as accurate.

In any case, does it really matter how much "signal" is indicated? Surely, the important thing is that the 'phone is operating correctly.

11. macrumors newbie

I'm on 3 in Lancashire. Absolutely no difference on ios7 for me in indicated signal strength.

12. macrumors 6502a

Carl Sagan

I've noticed it's worse since getting the 5S. Was on three for two years Witt my 4S and getting two or three dots/bars more than I do now in exactly the same places...

13. macrumors 603

Carlanga

Interesting, I guess you can make sure and restore as NEW and test signal, then load a backup

14. macrumors 68020

bbfc

I'm on 3 in Newcastle and I haven't experienced any drops in reception. Pretty much 5 bars of 3G most times.

15. macrumors 603

Max(IT)

It's not so hard to understand: if you are getting 5 bars the signal strength is very strong so you won't notice any different calibration on signal indicator of iOS 7.
    To see the difference, if there is a difference, you should move to a place when you used to have 3 bars and check the new indication after iOS 7 upgrade .