Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jtmav

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 15, 2007
I have a Linksys wrt 150N wireless router that is about a year old. My Rev B MBA is not performing with the speed I had anticipated moving to Wireless N. I was working with Linksys tech support yesterday and pretty much exhausted all options to get speed and range acceptable. I have Comcast cable and my iMac is seeing download speeds shown below hardwired directly into the router:
Using my MBA right next to the router I am barely getting 10% of that throughput. Before I replace the router I was considering a Time Capsule instead of a straight router. Is there anything I can do on the MBA side to remedy this? Is anyone using Time Capsule and getting good results?
One final note I did re flash the firmware on the router and when I reset the router on the first try I get very good speed (14,000KBPS) and thereafter it drops back down to 1200KBPS or so. I am thinking the router is the problem not the Air, but if anyone out there has any suggestions I would appreciate it.
Thanks,
JTMav

Attachments

• 382650270.png
    382650270.png
    23.5 KB · Views: 441

pilotError

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2006
Long Island
Do you have any other devices connecting wirelessly to the router?

If you have any Wireless G devices (Wii, PS3, iPhone, etc...), the router will drop speed to match the lowest common denomenator.

A lot of folks I know are using two routers now, one for the "N" devices and the other for the "G" devices.

Just one possibility.

jtmav

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 15, 2007
Do you have any other devices connecting wirelessly to the router?

If you have any Wireless G devices (Wii, PS3, iPhone, etc...), the router will drop speed to match the lowest common denomenator.

A lot of folks I know are using two routers now, one for the "N" devices and the other for the "G" devices.

Just one possibility.

Nothing else on the network, I actually changed the setting to "N" only and still had no improvement.
Thanks for the suggestion.
JTMav

jtmav

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 15, 2007
Update

Update, just tested my son's Dell Latitude right next to the router and got download speeds of 17000kbps. This laptop is not "N" but "G". Still much better than the Air. Seems like this is an Apple problem and not the router.
Just got off the phone with Apple and they said it's compatibility issue with the MBA and the router. Sounds like they want me to buy an Apple router and really was of little help. Still stumped.
Thanks for any help
JTMav

VS007

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2008
I am having disconnection issues with my Linksys wireless network. MBA drops the wireless connection frequently and often I have to either close my display or reboot to fix this. I believe this started happening after I added AppleTV to the network, but not 100% sure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.