Poorly orchestrated election year study: Who tips better???

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by kuyu, Sep 20, 2004.

1. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

I have been delivering pizzas of late for food/drinking money. The other day, as I was driving around looking at all the political stickers on cars in front of me, I thought of a good idea for a study.

The study:
    Since I go to about 85 houses a week, I thought I'd start recording who tips better. I have no hypothesis, no real goal to publish anything, or any particular reason for doing this beyond filling the time at work with something stimulating.

The method:
    Whenever I pull up to a place with a W or Kerry sticker, I record the amount of tip and which party they support. I then average all of them out and compare.

The results (so far):
    It's been two weeks, and the Bushies are in the lead by ~$0.10. Not a huge gap. However, the deviation of the bushies is far larger than that of Kerry'ers. With Bushies, I get anywhere between "thanks buddy" and $5. With Kerry'ers it's usually between $1.50-$3.50, with the occasional $4.

The control:
    Contrary to popular belief, rich people don't tip better. The best tips come from the middle class. Rich people act like "it's about time, ******" and poor people act like "get off my porch, ******".

However, I've found that politically motivated people (on both sides) tip WAY better than the sheep. So thanks political types, this money is fantastic!

I'll update this after I work again on Wednesday.

2. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Interesting idea Kuyu...I might ask/suggest that you keep track of tips as a % of the total for the order you are delivering, rather than in strictly dollar terms...seems that would be a more accurate representation of "who is a better tipper"...it would also be more work for you.

How do you file offers of bong hits? Or other barter-economy offers?

Perhaps the life of a delivery driver has changed over the years....

3. kuyu thread starter macrumors 6502a

kuyu

Hah! Yeah, I get a lot of offers to hit the L and have a beer. Especially after midnight.

I thought about doing the tips as a percentage, but no one tips me as a %. I work at the most expensive pizza joint in town, so I'd make ~$30/hour if people tipped as a %. It doesn't matter if the order is $20 or $250 bucks, I get the same tip.

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

10 cents per tip, you mean? or ten cents overall?

5. makisushi macrumors 6502

Ah Crap, I didn't know that I was supposed to tip the Pizza guy, I guess that is why he always takes 1 and half hours to deliver my pizza.

Seriously, this is an interesting idea. My theory is that republicans will tip less, because they are more concerned about keeping their own money. And democrats will tip more because they believe in sharing the wealth (welfare, etc.)

Keep us updated!

6. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i tip because i've waited tables and i know what it's like.

people talk about conscription services for the military or civil services, i say let's force people to wait tables for a year. ha!

7. sorryiwasdreami macrumors 6502a

sorryiwasdreami

Kuyu, this is a seriously awesome experiment. How long do you plan to keep it running?

Generally, I think tipping is a stupid idea. The restaurant/business should just pay the waiter, delivery person, etc. a real wage like they do in Europe. Then we wouldn't have to tip anybody.

With that said, I know that waiters make like $2.33 per hour and their system relies on tips to pay their wages. So, I always make a point to give an adequate tip; more for better service and less for questionable service.

Definitely keep us posted on your finds.

8. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Well, here in OR, tipped employees make at least minimum wage (currently $7.05/hr) plus tips...pretty good deal. FWIW

9. kuyu thread starter macrumors 6502a

kuyu

I get more than minimum wage. But, without the tips I would quit tomorrow. It's a crappy job. The only reason people do it is because of the tip money. I could get the same paycheck just standing at a store all day.

If my employer had to double or triple my hourly rate without tips, the food would get too expensive, people would buy from our competitors, and I'd eventually lose my job. Pick-up your pizza if you don't want to tip anyone.

Because of the tips, I can work 20 hours a week and make 40 hours worth of money. It's a great job for students. Come to think of it, all but one of our drivers is a student.

10. kuyu thread starter macrumors 6502a

kuyu

$0.10 as an average. However, due to the nature of our pricing scheme, this difference could be an effect of the change amount. "Keep the change and here's two bucks"...

I'm picking up a shift wednesday, so I'll post updated results that night.

11. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

More interesting would be a study on their toppings and number of pizzas per person.

i.e. who's more likely to be a the pig ordering 3 pizzas with extra pineapple for just himself?

12. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Heh...

I've worked customer service in quite a variety of settings both tipped and untipped and the above-noted pattern has been consistent.

The rich are typicaly quite stingy and suspicious (" I don't really need ink cartridges do I?!?").

The middle class are reasonable, thoughtful, sympathetic and tend to tip well.

The poor are either one or the other. They're usually (60%) stingy but less rude than the rich folks. There's 30% that are MORE considerate than the middle class and the remaining 10% are split between short-time poor that are usually middle class (depressed, unassuming, CAN'T tip) and the true nutjobs.

13. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I have an issue with tips. It is supposed to a "reward" for good service. Having delivered pizza's I understand fully the issue. Should I give $2 to $5 to some one that is doing their job? It is not like a waiter (or waitress) that keeps my drinks filled. Or bread or salad on the table. Do i get a call from the driver on how I liked the pizza? Never in my life time.

I give a $1 per a pizza delivered. This is on top of a delivery charge of 50 cents or a dollar. On the other side of the coin, I give 20%+ to the servers "in-house" based on their service. So I am not a cheapskate.

Based on some feelings that some have, should we start tipping at McDonald's?

14. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

my grandpa did.

i don't think $1/pizza is enough. for no other reason then these guys have a car to maintain and they have to pay their own tickets.

15. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I do tip more in very bad weather. But they should be paid, and are paid by the "surcharge" for delivery. This should be going to the driver.

Tips should be for the quality of service. Just doing what is required should not and will not for me be an automatic tip.

16. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

My mother-in-law once got on to us for not tipping the waitress at a "Sonic" Drive-in (which in my mind would have been the equivalent of tipping at McDonald's).

17. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

This thread brought to mind this news story I heard about the other day:

18. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I saw this news also. It reminded me of a group of us that went to a restaurant in Cleveland and got hit with 15 to 20% gratuity. It took them almost two hours to do the full meal, compared to an hour to an hour and half for others diners. in our case, we called the police and made an issue of the charges. In particular since we each were on our own expense accounts and requested separate checks.

I have done the job of a waiter. And I was taught that it is up to me to make my own tips. And this includes the BS that comes from the kitchen.

19. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Assuming your local pizza joint has a surcharge. Many do not. Assuming you got your pizza hot, on time and with all the toppings still as they appeared in the oven (as opposed to all on one side of the box) I advise tipping the driver. Mom and Pop Pizza parlors rely on good tips to keep their drivers from quitting in frustration. Usually the drivers are re-imbursed for Gas on an as-needed basis by the owner, who's often also the chef (and also often smoking a bowl in the back room while waiting for dough to rise).

20. kuyu thread starter macrumors 6502a

kuyu

There is no such thing as "free delivery". If the place doesn't charge you for it, they've included it in the price of the food.

Also, if there is a delivery charge, the driver doesn't receive all of that money. In fact, we are lucky to get half of it.

Chip, I know you don't feel like the pizza guy has done you any favor, but think about it like this... Everytime he/she comes to your house, they're missing out on taking a pizza to someone who tips well. Delivery is not a right, it's a privledge. We can refuse service to anyone if we feel the least bit uncomfortable. Also, big tippers NEVER pay full price. We always give them a discount. Once I leave the store with 2-3 del's, I can go to whichever one I want first. Thus, big tippers get their food first and pay less for it.

21. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I think we can all agree that we hope that your "poorly orchestrated" study is not "poorly funded" also. ;)

22. kuyu thread starter macrumors 6502a

kuyu

UPDATE!!!

Well, I went to work tonight. Decent tips all around. But, wouldn't you know it. Not a single sticker/sign/button/shirt at any of my stops. Damn.

Well the margin is still way too close to call. However, Dem's and Rep's still lead the rest of the public by about $0.50

I've also started counting the number of bumper sticker for each candidate. Bush is going to sweep this end of town.

Bush stickers: 23- on everything from an old truck to a benz to a beetle
    Kerry stickers: 3- on an Avalon, a Volvo, and a Maxima

23. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

First, every area is different, and so is each shop. So bigger tips will not always give someone a discount.

The idea I was making is the system of tipping here in the US is a little wacked. Do we tip the greeter at Walmart for pointing you to the right department? Do you tip the DMV worker that took the perfect drivers license photo? We tip cab drivers, but why not bus drivers?

Let me say that also that I am not afraid to tip. At sit down restaurants the tips I give range from 15% to 30%, all dependent on the service. Now if they treat me like a delivery, they do get what I would give to a driver.

24. wwworry macrumors regular

tipping the pizza driver is a social norm so their salary is predicated on receiving tips. Until drivers are paid decently and the norm is de-normed (?) we need to tip.

I, too, was a former pizza delivery man and a paper boy for that matter.

What is a good tip for a pizza these days? Does it matter how far away the pizza shop is?

25. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Don't buy frozen ones?