Pop band Busted to 'take a break'

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by iGav, Jan 12, 2005.

1. iGav macrumors G3

YEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!

'take a break' my arse... they're splitting up!!! :p

now if Green Day and Blink 182 would take the hint as well... result! :eek: :p

rinky dink link

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

3. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

I've never even heard of these guys, much less heard any of their smash hits. Judging by the pic, I supposed I'm fortunate for that. They look like a sorry lot. :rolleyes:

4. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Truly a black day in the history of British music. ;)

My immediate concern is that each Busted member will now try for a solo career, meaning there'll be three times as much bad music in the charts...

5. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

They're 'Punk' much in the same way as 'Green Day', 'Blink 182' and 'Avril Lavigne' think themselves as 'Punk'... ;) :p

6. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Never heard of them, but if they're anything like Blink 182 then good frickin riddance. I was hoping that kind of crap hadn't caught on in Europe.

7. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

They're much worse than Blink 182! :eek:

8. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

I to have never heard of them and couldn't care less as they have not had an impact on the PNW as far as I know. What kind of a name is "Busted" for a band? At-least most PNW bands here have more interesting names and much better music.

Blink 182 I can understand but Green Day I don't know. I had a roommate who was basically in love with Green Day :rolleyes: He is a huge fan and although I like the band enough they just look too much like other people wearing black clothing, ties, spiked hair.

9. brap macrumors 68000

They'll only be replaced... there's big money in exploiting adolescent stupidity, don't you know.

10. garybUK Guest

garybUK

Thank the lord! and I tend to agree about Blink182 and Avril and Greenday.... the mindless youth that is my little brother follow the record industry like they are the pied piper.

Now if Eminem got the message that everyone's bored with his... Britney Smells, I hate Life, I have a daughter and I'm hard done by lyrics in every single song he does.... maybe we'd have a bit of sense.

oh and Busted did the Thunderbirds song

11. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

12. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I used to like Green Day but now its getting old and out of style, the 90's are over. :eek: But I still like grunge, Nirvana is timeless in my opinion. :cool:

13. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I don't think Avril is punk but more of a confused rock pop star that can't find her identity.

14. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    green day has produced some really good songs in the past, their latest album isnt that great tho, but it has promise, hopefully they go back to their original style

15. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

Fake Punk

I hate fake punk. Here's what "Punky Bruster" - Cooked on phonics sounds like. A very funny record mocking the record industry's adoption of "New Punk" as product.

Fake Punk - Punky Bruster (mp3) it's a very good song even though it takes the piss.

Taken from the Devin Townsend Discography at [/URL] Hevydevy Records. There's loads of other Devin Townsend and Strapping Young Lad stuff on there too.

lyrics

Fake Punk
    Words and music © 1996 Devin Townsend

This here's a song about the things you don't find in nature
    This here's a tale about conditions of the head
    At one time I wanted to expand my education but
    Now I'll make more money if I dye my hair instead.

'Cause I've gotta be more punk, and forget about writing love songs
    And even though I'm a middle class white Canadian
    God knows I've been done wrong
    'Cause I'm a fake punk! I'm a fake punk!
    I'll even use a dirty word, I'll even write a mean song,
    I'll even take a mean picture
    'Cause I've got the hair for it!

I've always tried to dig myself out of the sewer
    I've always strived to be a little bit more well-read
    But oh no! Here comes that rock press interviewer so,
    I'll just look real tough and say **** a lot instead

I'd be alright if I could just hang out with my girlfriend
    I'd be just fine if they would close down all the bars
    And maybe one day I'll join a protest against smoking
    But when it comes to sincere angst you can just
    Leave me the **** alone!

16. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

Heheheh it's true though, bands like Green Day, Blink, McFly, Busted, Avril etc are no more 'Punk' than the 'Pistols were...

17. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

And now people will read your post and go OMG! I thought the Pistols were the real deal.

It's amazing what 15 minutes of well remembered fame will do for a popular music career.

You know that "Number of the Beast" is number 3 in the UK at the mo, if people like new waves of music the first "Iron Maiden" album called "Iron Maiden" was a very punk influenced sound, very grimy and very London sounding, it came out in 1978-79 uk itunes link I listen to it like it's punk played by very accomplished musicians. The message maybe lost but the soul and sound are still in it.

In the UK there was also a "Lucozade" advert with Daly Thompson (olympic decathlete) with a brilliant soundtrack uk itunes link.

If there are any discussions on the actual bloodlines of a genre, New Punk was a finically inspired cloning operation, there was no love in that relationship. Where the heart of Punk actually lies today can be argued until the cows come home, one thing is for certain, the directions it spread were to do with love and not money.

Does anyone know if Lucozade is sold in the U.S.?

18. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

No they won't they'll think I'm talking sh*t... :p

19. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm sure that the pressures that they are under must be tremendous. Since they are so successful it would be a shame to loose them for good. The break might be a good thing, a time to just get away.

20. snkTab macrumors 6502a

snkTab

If you want punk, you need to listen to Ashlee Simpson. That LaLa song really defined what punk really is.

21. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I'm going to guess by that that you haven't actually heard them? ;)

22. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

No, I will admit that I haven't. Was echoing the comment of edesignuk and others. If they weren't a good band no one would care or even mention them.

23. brap macrumors 68000

wdlove, come on son... people are remembered for bad things too, on occasion. Everyone remembers the Spice Girls, now don't they? ;)

24. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I happen to be more than old enough to be your father. You also have a very nice looking significant other. Either way the band is certainly being remembered. People can disagree politely on their view.