Pop Stars/Fame Academy/The Rivals

Discussion in 'Community' started by edesignuk, Dec 15, 2002.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    I don't know about you, but I'm sick to death of all these programs that search the nation for talent and then construct a crappy pop band from the best they could find.
    The first one was fine, but then the second and so on.
    Where will the madness end!?!
    Here in the UK the BBC did Fame Academy, which wasn't too bad as it was a different take on the format, where the winner would actually have to be tallented ;) (song writing, singing, performence etc), and not just an Ok singer and dancer like all those bands that have been produced by ITV's Pop Stars :rolleyes:
    What do u think?
  2. amnesiac1984 macrumors 6502a

Jun 9, 2002
    personally i hate pop music.\

but i think fame academy was quite interesting, as you do have to be talented, but at the end of it they are still going to make bollocks music.

these programs are spelling the end of rubbish music hopefully.

It is pushing the focus towards innovation and I think the record companies are wawakening to this
  3. barkmonster macrumors 68020

Dec 3, 2001
    I think the voting on fame academy was dictated by the same sheep like kids that fill the charts with cheese like DJ Sammy, Scooter, Mad House, every other by numbers 'pop dance' artist, all the boy bands and all the annoying pub singers ruining classic songs just to fill the label's deep pockets.

Did you actually watch any of them ?

I thought Lemar was the only one with genuine singing talent, he reminded me of Seal.

That guy that won was just more pop fodder, destined to have his face on every teeny boppers wall till the next fad comes along. Even worse, he'll probably end up being another Darius! He's written a lot of his own songs and can at least but so have a lot of other nothing artists and look where they are now.

I think whether it's Trance/House (the real stuff, not the cheesy formulaeic boy racer crap), Rock, Rap or any other genre that's also got established mainstream artists. It should all made by geniune artists who actually influence and change music for the better, most of the stuff that's in the charts doesn't influence anyone, it's just loads of annoying throw away pop music.

I wouldn't go so far as to totally diss pop as a whole genre, there's a lot of established pop artists that are still here because they deserve to be.
  4. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

Oct 30, 2001
    London, UK
    "Shame" Academy didn't even rate to me.

*Flat production
    *Flat voices
    *Flat talent

God help us in the run-up to the Christmas No. 1 here in the UK...

(still - at least it's kept Sir Cliff Richard off the charts...)