Pop-Up Zapper??? P L E A S E???

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by jes13, Feb 2, 2003.

1. jes13 macrumors member

Hi I worked as a hostess for AOL (years ago) - someone created a pop-up (disconnect pop-up screen thingy) 'zapper' that we could install to prevent us from getting disconnected while downloading or in a chat room... Does Mac have such a 'zapper' so I don't have to sit here for 6 hours or so when I'm 'upgrading' (downloading) something???

Thanks sooo much. Sitting here - or setting a timer for every 1/2 hour when downloading is stressful 'cos if I miss it - then I'm 'booted out' and have to start over again

Jeanne:(

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

3. medea macrumors 68030

medea

Well I'm going to let you know that your post makes zero sense really, a pop-up zapper would be something that keeps pop-up ads from well popping up, I think what your talking about is something to resume downloads in case you are disconnected online, in which case you might want to check out speed download http://www.yazsoft.com/ I dont use it myself because I'm on cable and have no use for it, but try it. If you are on a 56k modem, there is nothing that will keep you from getting disconnected because programs do not determine that, your phone line usually does.
    I'm just guessing your using OS X....

4. jes13 thread starter macrumors member

Zapper!

Thanks Medea!

I found what I want - and no not just for the ads, it's helping me (using it now) so I can download without worrying about the idiot box coming up telling me it's gonna disconnect me for being 'idle'....

Jeanne

5. jes13 thread starter macrumors member

edesignuk
    Zapper

Sorry edesignuk, so many other things in your 'reply' I missed your question! OS 10/3 (upgraded to 3)

:)

Jeanne

6. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

AOL can tell when your mouse is moved, it will often disconnect you a certain time after it thinks you're idle. There may be programs out there that move your cursor every few minutes, i don't really know. I used one for PC once but it was incorporated into some hacking software i think... sorry to be so vague but search versiontracker for it, you might come up with something...

pnw

7. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Re: edesignuk Zapper

...Um 10.3 isn't out yet... ;)

Anyway ...

8. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000

Yeah, Safari is the way to go...

9. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

The best thing you can do is ditch AOL.

Real ISPs aren't plagued with the myriad of problems AOL faces. Think of AOL is internet for dummies...if you're downloading long files, which are causing AOL to burp, you've progressed past 'for dummies' and need to get real internet, like earthlink dial up, cable modem service, DSL, or one of the many other dial up ISPs.

Most cost the same (or less than AOL), and allow you the freedom to use the internet as you wish.

10. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

Re: Re: edesignuk Zapper

the original poster said OS 10/3. perhaps it's Mac OS 3.3333333333333333333.....

11. jes13 thread starter macrumors member

OSX

No Paul I "WAS" on AOL - hated it! :rolleyes:

And yes Zim - see I'm a VERY new switcher - I did download the 10-3 (OSX) - I forget all the numbers. Got a Zapper from zap@batista.org

:cool:

12. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

Re: OSX

now i'm confused. the most recent publically available version is 10.2.3. is that what you're trying to say?

or by "10-3," do you mean system 7?

i won't accept "10*3" or "10+3" either.

p.s. :)

13. jes13 thread starter macrumors member

sigh

And yes Zim - see I'm a VERY new switcher - I did download the 10-3 (OSX) - I forget all the numbers.

Yes Zim your 10-2-3 whatever - I SAID I'm (VERY) New :-/