pop ups are back!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by JW8725, Jun 24, 2005.

1. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

I ran away from my PC and joined the mac culture to hide from the pop ups but alas they have caught up to me. I keep getting pop ups on my mac. Nowhere near the frequency I did on my PC but nonetheless they do appear every now and then, how does one find out if I'm plagued with something nasty!

Damn spyware!

2. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    It's very, very, very unlikely to be spyware since there currently isn't any.

There are a few sites who have pop-under ads that manage to defeat Safari & Firefox's ad blockers but I've only had one since then... from a site I don't visit often. Then again, it could be that they've recoded ads to get around the blockers and we'll get a swathe again.

You haven't turned off the blockers while trying to log into something which depends on pop-ups and forgotten to turn them back on again?

3. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

Pop Ups are far from spyware, so dont get them confused, try using a pop up blocker like the one installed in safari or Ad-Block on firefox,

ShaDOW :cool:

4. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

Those pop up blockers are missing a bunch of them now. I read somewhere that there is this new type of popup that can defeat the blockers and new versions of browsers will be able to defend against them. I'll see if I can find it.

5. stevietheb macrumors 6502a

stevietheb

I had to disable popup blocking in Safari for a certain website yesterday. This morning I started visiting my normal morning sites, and all of these windows kept popping up. What the heck is this?!?! I was flabberghasted! I had absolutely forgotten what life was like back when I was using IE...Eventually I remembered that they were called "popups" and that the good folks at Apple and Mozilla had made those a nonfactor in my life.

6. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

I have this experience everytime I use any browser other than Camino. There are banner ads! :eek: You never realize how obtrusive they are, 'till they just go away...

7. TrenchMouth macrumors 6502

This is just another cat and mouse game playing out. Yes, Safari and FireFox block the vast majority of pop ups, but some are starting to sneak through. I trust that both companies will do what they can to update their browsers to defeat these as well, it is in their best interest because eventually someone will. In the mean time just sit back and relax like it was IE again... :eek:

Edit: Aaaaaaannnnddd....This should go in software...for future reference. But who cares right?

8. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

With Pop Up blocking turned on in Safari, I have had only 2 pop ups (or unders, I guess) since I got my PowerBook about 3 months ago. Do that and you should be fine and dandy...:)

9. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

I have not had any pop-ups to show up in Safari with the blocker enabled. Still, I suppose that there will be a constant cycle of newer, more stealthy pop-ups as well as new pop-up blockers.

10. Huked on Fonick macrumors 6502

Between Firefox/Safari blocking pop-up adds and Privoxy blocking pop-ups in addition to all other adds, i rarly get ANY adds (i Occasionally get the random banner add or other little add in a site that slips though privoxy but thats it.)

Its nice...

11. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

Between Camino... well, no, it's just Camino. I never see a pop-up or banner ad. I love Camino...

12. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I started getting quite a few before I upgraded to Tiger. This thread just reminded me that I actually haven't seen one since 10.3.9 so maybe Safari 2.0 (my exclusive browser) has a better blocker.

13. JW8725 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Funny thing i've just realised.......Camino is actually a swear word in Hindi, quite rude too! Oh dear!

14. asanchezm macrumors member

I find the new version of floating advertisements more anoying than popups, I think they are shockwave or something. They seem to float around and stall your damn browsing while you figure out how to click the darn thing off.

I get a kick out of getting the "You have a virus on your computer" popups with a Windows XP message box.