pop ups on safari?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by brsboarder, Nov 25, 2004.

1. brsboarder macrumors 6502a

For Some weird reason I'm getting some pop ups sometime on safari, wondering whats happening? I have pop ups blocked

2. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Not every pop-up is blocked. There are many different ways of brining up pop-up windows. Some even invoke a similar function to bring up a window. Just know that you'll block at least 80% of windows, the other 20 is by coding, lots and lots of coding.

3. fuzzai macrumors member

I believe if you use firefox. it does not allow another window to open unless you have asked for it.

I use firefox at home and have never had a pop up open while using it.

4. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

5. Butler Trumpet macrumors 6502

Butler Trumpet

weird, I have never had a pop up on safari, until yesterday and today, i have had 3

someone out there must have found a way around it... lets hope a security update is on the way.

6. rogerw macrumors 6502

i've had no pop ups until a couple of days ago(only 1 mind you). Trying to think of the site (could have been this one?!)

7. Butler Trumpet macrumors 6502

Butler Trumpet

This game, off of addictinggames.com

http://206.225.85.168/games/savethering.html

it has given me two different kind of popups, the first, is just a new window after you play the game and the second, is like an actual pop up..... it was horrible... i felt like a windows user for a few minutes :(

8. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

9. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

same here for me.

10. Butler Trumpet macrumors 6502

Butler Trumpet

you have to actually play the game... lose, then submit your score.... try that

11. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

ive actually never had a pop up with safari, and i didnt get one on that site either, so i dont know....maybe you could trash your prefs and see if that is the cause of the problem

12. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

O.K. I played the game (ish) then posted result which opened a new window but not a Pop-up.

13. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I've gotten one (mind you, just the one) pop-up on MacOSRumors (yeah, I know, notoriously unreliable - I enjoy reading it despite that). I wonder if Shiira (my current default browser) and Safari share the same pop-up blocker because it's implemented in WebKit, which both browsers use.

14. micvog macrumors 6502

micvog

I have been getting pop ups in the past few weeks at www.drudgereport.com, but nothing compared to IE on my work PC.

15. iGary Guest

iGary

I got one yesterday as well and was surprised. I have not received on pop-up in a year and a half of using Safari - period.

Is this a 10.3.8 bug? :confused:

16. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I get that on Drudgereport but it just opens and closes a blank pop-up in a fraction of a second.

17. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

For the popup starting to coming up you can blame firefox popularity. It has gotten enough market share to make it a large enough target to start figure out to get around and so pop-ups are going to start hiting the non IE browser now

18. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

www.rnc.com does it for me. Consistently (I use Safari). Went there with mistaken URL, but thought I'd post back here.

19. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

20. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I know why: I'm an idiot. I was connecting to another Mac (⌘-K) but had Safari on top instead of the Finder. Result: pop-up blocking turned off. :eek:

21. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Early on with Safari (well, early on for me...aka January 2004!), I used to turn it off for specific requested pop-ups that were incorrectly handled (and most of which work correctly with subsequent updates), and I used to keep forgetting to turn it on again. :) Happens to all of us. ;)

I do however like the way Firefox deals with this, since it has the relatively easy-to-get-at option to force even requested pop-ups into tabs.

22. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Mwahahaha! easy enough to do.My newish mouse stopped working yesterday and I through a hissy fit then banged on the desk and a large breadcrumb fell out.Works fine now. :)

23. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I never get pop ups either. I tried all those sites and ways and nothing but the main web page. I have not done the latest security update- would that have anything to do with it? would be ironic wouldn't it.

Now that I wrote this I will probalby start getting pop ups- on my PC at school :D

24. iGary Guest

iGary

I just got another one.

Shot a bug report to Apple. ;)