Popcap's 'Plants vs. Zombies' for iPhone and iPad Available for Free

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 21, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Popcap's iconic game Plants vs. Zombies has been a top seller on both the iPad and the iPhone since it was introduced to iOS in 2010.

Though it has been offered at a reduced price multiple times, the app has never before been available for free, until today, because of Apple's App of the Week promotion.

Plants vs. Zombies is a lane defense game where players use a variety of defensive plants to fight off waves of attacking zombies. Thanks to its cartoonish graphics and strategic gameplay, Plants vs. Zombies is a game that is popular with both serious and casual gamers.

The game features 50 levels of traditional gameplay, along with a never-ending survival mode, a Zen Garden, and an array of challenging mini games.

Plants vs. Zombies is designed for the iPhone and can be downloaded from the App Store at no cost. [Direct Link]

Plants vs. Zombies HD is the version that has been designed for the iPad, and it is also free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Popcap's 'Plants vs. Zombies' for iPhone and iPad Available for Free

2. macrumors 68020

applesith

Love this game! I just wish it would tie your accomplishments to your apple ID.

3. macrumors 6502

Achiever

Sounds like an intentionally-timed tease for the sequel supposedly dropping this spring.

Just what I need...another addiction.

4. macrumors member

I've never really gotten into th.....BRAINSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

5. macrumors 604

Jessica Lares

Suspected it was App of the Week since this morning when it was first posted.

If you've never finished the game... Let's just say that you're in for a big "what just happened" moment. :D

6. macrumors 6502a

Ready for EA to add a load more in app purchases. EA about to ruin another game. RIP plants vs zombies.

7. macrumors 6502a

R.Stoychev

Best game ever :D

8. macrumors 603

ArtOfWarfare

It requires a Wifi connection to download. Nuts. Looking forward to playing it when I have a connection.

9. macrumors 65816

iMacFarlane

Phaselocking Psychos somewhere on Pandora
    I've bought this game for PC, then on Steam for my Mac, on XBox Live, and for my iPhone. It's one of the greatest casual games ever, and still fun.

iOS version is fun, with cool achievements, but nothing beats the PC/Mac version with all the mini-games. "I, Zombie" is mad fun, I actually like it better than the main game!

Downloading the HD version for the iPad I don't own (future-proof).

10. macrumors 601

Westside guy

Those have always been there (for as long as I've had the game anyway). And if you're patient - willing to accumulate in-game coins - you can get those extras for free... it's just that impatient people are given the option to buy in-game coins with real money. :D

11. JAT
    macrumors 603

That's good to hear. I hate the games that force you to buy IAP in order to advance. I'm just in the process of teaching my kids to stay away from them. It is hard to differentiate between those that offer advancement via real money and those that require it.

Downloaded this today, I'll have to get the HD version tonight.

12. macrumors 65816

TouchMint.com

Yea pretty sweet deal here even though I already have it. Now I can get some friends to try it out.

13. macrumors 6502a

3N16MA

What happend to PopCap after the EA takeover? They haven't released a new game.

14. macrumors member

the only annoying part is that I bought it 2 days ago :mad:

other than that, fabulous game :)

15. Guest

Excellent game indeed; downloading it now.

16. macrumors 601

Yvan256

If I want to play Plants vs Zombies, I just go to Hillsbrad Foothills.

17. Guest

This game is brilliant and offers many hours of gameplay.

Even after completing the standard game plenty of stuff to unlock, loved the zen garden very hard work getting all the plants.

18. Editor

jclo

Staff Member

They're working on Plants vs. Zombies 2.

19. macrumors member

NO iPhone 5 support????

NO iPhone 5 support????

WHHYYYYYYYYYY :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

20. macrumors 68030

Watabou

It seems like the app crashes when you are on a jailbroken device and you have a different theme installed. That is just brilliant.

21. macrumors 604

bushido

literally starting this game for the billionth time from the beginning, it really does need icloud support

22. macrumors 6502a

iDuel

Exactly. It kinda ruins it for me when a game is not optimized for iPad/iPhone5. I'm not a mobile developer, (but I do use C++ and Visual Basic) but what is really involved in optimizing a game for the iPhone 5 that couldn't be done when they updated for iOS 6 support?

23. macrumors 6502

I actually paid for this game and I want iP5 display support!

24. macrumors 6502

Yeah I was kind of disappointed they never updated the iPhone version for the expanded screen. That game would have benefited from it a lot too.

25. macrumors 603

Carlanga

When it came out they didn't promise you that so don't complain.
    Anyways, a sequel is in the works I believe so you can pay and get your retina gaming. ;)