PopChar?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by eclipse525, May 19, 2005.

1. eclipse525 macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

A long while ago I use to use an app called PopChar to see all the characters of the perticular font I was using. Does this exist for Panther/Tiger? If not, can anyone recommend another one that is similar?

~e

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Blast from the past!

PopChar X is now $30.
    http://www.macility.com/products/popcharx/

I tend to use Art Directors' Toolkit these days for this. Not as fast and handy as PopChar but it came free on my PowerMac G4 and the work G5s.

If you have it, then the symbols tab is the one to check out.

Edit: FontBook on Panther does show the 'repertoire' as it calls it -- i.e. the full character set but it doesn't show the keyboard combinations or even provide a way of copying and pasting the character into your document. Potential there to do something with this and the Font palette in the future, perhaps...

4. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

wow, i missed popchar a lot. but not that much. 30 bucks is too much for me. :( 15 would be o.k..

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It's too bad that between the character palette and the font book, it's too bad this isn't built in. It seems like it would've been an easy add to the char palette.

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

What do you need that Character Palette (Edit > Special Characters...) doesn't give you?

7. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Unfortunately some apps don't work with this feature -- Quark 6 being one of them... oh and Word 2004 too. :(

PopChar was/is the perfect utility for this kind of thing, way faster & simpler than the Character palette.