Popcorn Vs. Toast?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by todd2000, Dec 6, 2006.

1. todd2000 macrumors 68000

Nov 14, 2005
    Danville, VA
    Just want to make sure before I buy it, but will Popcorn work for the last step of this tutorial? Id rather get Popcorn for 1/2 the price if it will burn the MPEG to a DVD with no problems. Is there any reason that Toast would be better? This is literally the only thing I will be using it for, so I don't need any of the other features etc... Thanks

Doh! Forgot the link to the tutorial - http://motogrrl.com/replayTV/replay_to_dvd.html
  2. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

Apr 29, 2005
    You can't swap out one for the other. Popcorn is more or less a compression tool and Toast is still needed to burn the final product.
  3. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Mar 4, 2004
    I believe that the new Toast has the functionality of Popcorn built in. So ultimately, you may only need Toast.
  4. sprstu macrumors member

Apr 27, 2005
    white bear lake, mn
    The only real use I have found for Popcorn is to convert video_ts files into Mpeg2 for DVD use. After a dvd has been ripped popcorn will compress it back into a burnable DVD format. on the program it says it will also do "image files" and off of a "dvd disk", but I have never used it for either of those.

toast seems to be a better program. Look on ebay for an unopened copy, could save you some money.
  5. slu macrumors 68000

Sep 15, 2004
    I know this thread is old, but this is wrong. Popcorn will compress and burn an un-encrypted VIDEO_TS folder.
  6. Erasmus® macrumors member

Oct 30, 2006
    eras disk

Hi guys, is there a way to erase rewritable disks with toast like I did with nero for windows? thx
  7. CarlsonCustoms macrumors 6502

Mar 5, 2007
    correct me if i'm wrong but can't you do cdrw erasing in disk utility?
  8. Erasmus® macrumors member

Oct 30, 2006

yes you can, I'm just doing it! thanks!