Popcorn Vs. Toast?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by todd2000, Dec 6, 2006.

1. todd2000 macrumors 68000

Just want to make sure before I buy it, but will Popcorn work for the last step of this tutorial? Id rather get Popcorn for 1/2 the price if it will burn the MPEG to a DVD with no problems. Is there any reason that Toast would be better? This is literally the only thing I will be using it for, so I don't need any of the other features etc... Thanks

Doh! Forgot the link to the tutorial - http://motogrrl.com/replayTV/replay_to_dvd.html

2. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

You can't swap out one for the other. Popcorn is more or less a compression tool and Toast is still needed to burn the final product.

3. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

I believe that the new Toast has the functionality of Popcorn built in. So ultimately, you may only need Toast.

4. sprstu macrumors member

sprstu

The only real use I have found for Popcorn is to convert video_ts files into Mpeg2 for DVD use. After a dvd has been ripped popcorn will compress it back into a burnable DVD format. on the program it says it will also do "image files" and off of a "dvd disk", but I have never used it for either of those.

toast seems to be a better program. Look on ebay for an unopened copy, could save you some money.

5. slu macrumors 68000

slu

I know this thread is old, but this is wrong. Popcorn will compress and burn an un-encrypted VIDEO_TS folder.

6. Erasmus® macrumors member

eras disk

Hi guys, is there a way to erase rewritable disks with toast like I did with nero for windows? thx

7. CarlsonCustoms macrumors 6502

correct me if i'm wrong but can't you do cdrw erasing in disk utility?

8. Erasmus® macrumors member

thanks

yes you can, I'm just doing it! thanks!