Pope close to death

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by stubeeef, Mar 31, 2005.

1. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Link
    Pope described on msnbc as having had a cardio circlatory collapse, yahoo has the story via link above.

I am not catholic, but revere this pope for his diplomatic accomplishments, fall of eastern soviet europe, and his compassion.

He will be in my prayers tonight. :(

edit:msnbc saying he is conscious and doing better but very guarded

2. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

I'm Catholic fyi. I just read that he's responding to the treatments. Poor guy has been through a lot. Did anyone see that he requested life support in his living will?

3. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

So, how many other livings things die tonight? And tomorrow, and ...

4. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

I'm Catholic too... thanks for praying for him, stubeeef.

I'm not sure how much it can be avoided at this point, but we can at least pray for a peaceful passage.

5. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Not that many that have done so much for so few, are you tetering on the brink this evening?

6. aafuss1 macrumors 68000

aafuss1

I'm very sad hearing that he had a heart attack-he will be in my prayers tonight (he is very grave now).

7. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

The Pope is Jiminy Cricket?

Well wishing for his health aside, let's just hope someone doesn't try to stick a feeding tube in him...

Homonyms people, homonyms.

8. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

When the Pope was unable to walk and needed help with the small details of life he should have stepped down and been replaced by a younger fitter Cardinal.

Could you imagine if the Prime Minister or President was in a smiliar position :eek:

9. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Except that traditionally (and the Catholic Church is big on that), the Pope can't resign. He is the father of the faith and he believes that like a father, the job is for life.

Apparently although his Parkinson's has contributed to his frailty, his mind has been as active as ever and he has still been involved in church decisions. Remember that as in a government, there are lots of underlings who run the day to day business.

10. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

It worked for Roosevelt didn't it? If memory serves, FDR suffered a paralysis due to the effects of polio. Back then, the press still had some modicum of class and decency and didn't talk about it.

11. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

Best wishes to a man who has done alot. I will keep him in my prayers and hope for recovery or as peaseful a passing as possible. He has done so much in his tenure...A model that will not soon be forgotten.

12. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Regardless of what your views are on religion and the rights & wrongs of the Catholic church, this is a man who has stamped his mark on history.

13. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

I meant the very small details of life, getting dressed, going to the toilet, eating meals etc.

Whe the Queen Mother realised that old age was taking too much of a demand on her her she cut back her Royal duties, which for a womeon who created the "position" of Queen Mother, were quite a lot.

14. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

i hope he dies in peace. i also hope, he would give up the position, before it gets more complicated. it would be a smoother transition, that way.

not wanting to make this political but, dubya is just waiting for a different world issue, so he can hide the blunders of iRaq.

15. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Made A+'s in math and always nearly failed english, my bust, how nicely you noticed and kind was your response. :eek:

16. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Watch the news people, learn about your world.........

17. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

For those interested in the changing of the guard, here is some catholic religious history/prophecy.

St. Malachy claims to have seen all the Popes till the end of time, in his vision the present Pope is number 110 of 112.

Link

Lets learn about our world people, learn about our world........... ;)

edit:Is it also noteworthy that Pope John Paul II ("from the labor of the sun") was born during the solar eclipse of May 18th, 1920. While it was a partial,a nd not a total, solar eclipse, nevertheless, according to the NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center Eclipse home page, it was the largest of the 20th century with a magnitude of 0.9734. (from another similar link/article of St Malachy.)

edit2:If the pope becomes incapacitated, can he be removed?

Under canon law, a pope is allowed to resign. However, a pope may not be removed even if he becomes incapacitated. No Pope has ever lost his mental capacity. However, there was a bed-ridden pope. Two years after taking office, Pope Clement XII (1730-1740) went blind. He also had a severe case of gout and spent most of his ten years in office in bed.

Several Popes have resigned including Benedict IX (1033-44), Gregory VI (1044-46), Celestine V (1294) and most recently Gregory XII (1406-15).

18. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    I made a comment a couple of weeks ago, that if Terri Schiavo and the pope died on the same day who would have better placement in the newspapers.

19. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Italian Newspaper or Florida paper?

20. emw macrumors G4

emw

He does have a feeding tube, which was installed on Wednesday, I believe.

While I would like to make some comments on his "success" as a Pope, I think this thread was meant to stay out of the Political forums. In any case, I hope he is as comfortable as possible.

21. emw macrumors G4

emw

In the Chicago Tribune, Shiavo's passing and the Pope's heart attack shared similar billing.

22. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Thankyou for your restraint, I think they actually have another political thread on the subject.

23. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Vatican is announcing that the Pope's condition has worsened.

He is conscious and participating in prayers, but maybe in an irreversable state for the worse.

24. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Why Pray for the Pope?

Look, hes 82 and has lived his life to the full and has accieved everything he wanted and more.

I very much dought he will die an unhappy man.

Pray for those who need it.

25. emw macrumors G4

emw

I'm not an especially religious person, but I don't think there's a limit on the number of prayers that can be said. I'm sure that stu and others are doling them out appropriately.

Despite what we may think of him or his life, he has dedicated himself to a cause he believes in, and one that was generally good and just - he is as deserving of our prayers as anyone else, even if he won't die with regrets (but who really knows that but him).