Pope May be Eyeing His Successor

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by wdlove, Sep 30, 2003.

1. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i hear they're pretty worried about what would happen if he became incapacitated, but not dead... there's evidently no contingency plan for that. you'd think there would be. at any rate, they're hoping he signed a document giving instructions, just in case...

pnw

3. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Yes, I am sad for anyone degrading health.

But arrangements had to be made.

Also looks like overwhelmingly conservative, I've read up on a few of them... :eek:

4. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Well, look his age and all what he is doing always, he is the most busy man I can think off at his age.

Lets hope he is in peace and happy.

5. gello2424 macrumors member

Keep his ass alive if I remember right there is only going to be 2 more popes after him before the world ends!!! and I am to young to die :)

6. Abraxsis macrumors 6502

Abraxsis

I truly find this quote hilarious. He is supposedly second only to Jesus Christ, something tells me Jesus and God can handle things just fine if he becomes incapacitated. I think its the humans that needs the contingency plan. Funny how they dont seem to believe that things won't fall apart without a pope. Not too big on faith huh? Hmmm...

7. FriarTuck macrumors 6502

FriarTuck

This "conservative" Pope opposed the Iraq war.
    This "conservative" Pope preaches against the death penalty.
    This "conservative" Pope is openly skeptical about unfettered global capitalism.
    This "conservative" Pope held a summit of the industrialized nations to promote forgiveness of third world debt and is an outspoke advocate of the moral obligations of the rich to the poor.

Let's not apply broad political labels to religious belief, okay?

8. cubist macrumors 68020

I think they mean conservative religiously, not politically.

That's interesting. I think I read something like that too, or that the current pope was the next to last, and that the last one would be named Peter, etc. Any links?

9. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

uhh, the pope is a political figure as much as religious, so political labels are certainly appropriate. he is an influence in ways that he should not be, in some cases. i think branding him with a political lean is fair, if he's going to go do political things. when he stops trying to keep gay marriage illegal in the US, i'll stop labeling him :)

pnw

10. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

He's going to keep doing political things because he is the head of Vatican City. The smallest (or second, I don't remember) country in the world.

Anyways, I don't think the pope is conservative or liberal, but a mix of both. Certain issues he goes one way, he other issues.

11. Macco macrumors regular

I'd say that it's fair to label the Pope's political beliefs as "religiously conservative." Some of his beliefs can be classified as liberal, as you mentioned above. These beliefs are mostly based on the Bible and traditional religious teachings, i.e. Thou shalt not kill, Love your neighbor as you love yourself, etc. His other beliefs are closer to the conservative end of the spectrum, such as his views on homosexuality and women in the priesthood. These beliefs are again based on religious teaching. Of course, this is no excuse for having these beliefs. Every human being must make and be responsible for their own moral decisions, and should not follow word-for-word what the Bible or another religious text says.

The one exception that I can think of to the Pope's religiously conservative views was his acceptance of the legitimacy of the Jewish religion, among others. For this, I am very appreciative.

12. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

he really needs to retire if you will, but who will replace him? also there is nothing wrong with marriage being between a man and woman paul in fact i think this is what marriage was ment to be! i like Arnold's view on marriage- keep it man&wife and have some kind of other license or whatever for gay unions. Pope dont see it that way and who can blame him- he is supposed to follow the teachings not make em up as you go.

13. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

What book of myths did you read this in?

I'm sorry I haven't read the Book of Rumors lately.

:rolleyes:

1st Smallest.

How many countries do you know of are inside of other City's of others *countries*

:p

He is compassionate (as the Pope should be, he is the leader of a good damn portion of all of the world)

Pope as a Polit. Figure might get you in trouble, like saying Jews got Isreal for self-serving reasons because in their holy Scripture it says that is their promised land...

:eek:

14. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

This leaves me wondering why any Jewish person would care whether the Pope accepts Judaism or not.

MrMacman: I heard on some channel that there is another country inside Rome. But maybe they were talking about Vatican City and I heard them wrong...

15. Juventuz macrumors 6502a

Juventuz

There's no other country in Rome, but there is another country within Italy.... San Marino.