Pope Resigns

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Feb 11, 2013.

1. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Nice of him to give two weeks notice.

Link

2. macrumors demi-god

ChristianJapan

Totally unexpected, but honest decision to be respected. Hope the next pope will be a "bit" younger when elected.

3. macrumors G5

yg17

Good riddance

4. macrumors 604

chrono1081

Good riddance. Someone in his position could do a lot of good by helping at least the Catholic wing of Christianity return to its roots of caring for others, not judging, etc.

Instead he used his position to spread hate and bigotry (supporting Uganda's kill the gays bill author comes to mind).

I do feel bad for him for having aging take its toll but its good that he will be out of the position. I hope someone with better knowledge of the Bible and Christian values (real ones, not the ones you see touted by Michelle Bachman and the like) takes his place and works towards ending discrimination and hate.

5. macrumors 68000

Source? I assume you mean the pictures of the pope giving her a blessing? Like he would do for absolutely every human being he ever encountered, regardless of what they have done?

Unless you have some evidence he actually "supported" her in some way, you are just showing your ignorance of the Catholic Church.

6. macrumors 601

Don't panic

a welcome and surprisingly modern decision by a reactionary man who set the church back decades.
    At least he leaves behind one action that garners some respect.

Now hopefully the conclave picks someone more in line with the times.

7. chrono1081, Feb 11, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2013

macrumors 604

chrono1081

There are lots:

http://www.google.com/search?q=pope+supports+author+of+kill+the+gays+bill&oq=pope+supports+author+of+kill+the+gays+bill&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

EDIT: I just reread your post and you are correct yes he blessed her, and that no one knows what was actually said. You'd think someone in his position would try explaining to her that she is completely wrong, however since the pope considers gay marriage "a threat to peace" its safe to say he didn't try and dissuade her from getting the bill passed.

8. macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Oh come on. While followers of Christ do believe that homosexuality is a sin, we also consider murder to be a sin as well. You don't offset one by committing another.

9. macrumors 604

chrono1081

I'm a Christian but I don't consider homosexuality a sin. The only time its deemed as a sin is when its A. Either taken out of context or B. Mistranslated.

Also murder being a sin didn't stop "Christians" from killing people all throughout history.

10. macrumors G3

NT1440

Is it a sin to kill what others don't consider human? You should read some of the horror stories from gays in Uganda, it's sickening.

11. macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

I really can't see that happening - the whole institution is decades/centuries behind the modern world.

The best we can hope for is the Catholic Church continuing to be less and less relevant in civilised society.

12. macrumors 68040

obeygiant

[​IMG]

who else doesn't give crap?

13. macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Never said that someone proclaiming to be a Christian has never done anything horrible. We've had a lot of bad apples in our bunch over the years for sure.

14. macrumors 603

mobilehaathi

Hmm, I didn't even know the pope could resign. I doubt God loves a quitter.

15. macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I think this is a good step to be honest. Maybe you can then get a pope who isn't 90...

----------

Good to admit :).

16. macrumors G5

jav6454

Unluckily it is the bad apples that give bad taste. People remember more the bad taste than the good things.

17. macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Pretty much how all stereotypes are born.

18. macrumors G3

NT1440

Does it matter to you at all that many of the horrendous things from the church have been institutional, or the institution itself covering up for the bad apples?

I say structurally the church is self is rotten to the core, its followers are a different story.

19. macrumors 6502

7thson

When I read the post title, I could hear "The Times They Are A Changing" in my head. Here's to hoping the next one will herald in more tolerance and compassion for everyone.

20. macrumors G5

yg17

Sadly, I wouldn't count on it.

21. macrumors 6502a

First Sarah, now the Pope. It's a nice trend I'd like to see continue.

22. macrumors 68040

Moyank24

And it will stay like that until the followers stop going to Church and putting dollar bills into the basket.

He won't. They have made absolutely no indications that they are going to change any time this milennium.

23. macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Sure it bothers me. When non-Christ followers fail to follow the teachings of Christ it's sad, but it's understandable. If they do not believe then obviously they are not going to follow. So it's impossible to hold those folks up to the standards set forth by Christ.

Now self-proclaimed Christians on the other hand....that's a whole different story. To say that you are a follower of Christ and do some of the horrible things have happened.....it's maddening (the folks at that Westboro Church are the first that come to mind). To hate in the name of God is, quite simply, blasphemous. Jesus gave us the greatest commandment in Matthew 22 (37-40)

This is not something that is negotiable. Far too often Christians like to play God with their actions and all it does it push away those they are trying to "help" and push people in general away from God. It is both tragic and completely avoidable.

24. macrumors 68040

Someone's definitely blackmailing him to resign. I don't believe the generic health excuse at all.

25. macrumors 6502a

I think he's going senile and they don't want a senile pope. Or at least, an unpopular senile pope.