Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kayre2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2006
Australia
Hi all,

I've been lurking in and out for a while and have finally jumped into the fray coz I need a bit of help.

I've had a search and can't find what I'm after so here goes.

I've got a week old Macbook Pro CoreDuo and just now as I was listening to a song in iTunes my speakers popped and went silent. I thought maybe it was the song so I tried skipping forward and back and got nothing. I pressed stop and played another song and I got the pop again and then my sound was back. So I'm confused and a little worried. I only have my speakers turned to just above half volume so not even loud.

Has anyone noticed/heard of this problem before or know what it is? Should I be worried? If my new baby needs repairs I need to do it soon coz I'm leaving the country in four weeks.

Any help?

Thanks, K

brikeh

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2006
I had this on 4 iMacs and 1 12" Powerbook. The iMacs were really bad but with the powerbook it only happened once or twice during a year. I still havent figured out what caused it :(

kayre2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2006
Australia
It's only a CoreDuo coz I guess it was old stock. It was a present from my parents and I guess my Dad got a good deal on it

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
Why is it a Core Duo if it is only a week old?:confused:

umm yeah my university store still sells the rest of their nib CD mbps at a even more discounted price..and then add a 200 dollar student discount. You can still get them new at certain places.

chaddell

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2006
kayre2, did you ever find a solution to this problem?? I've been having the same issue with the loud pop when listening to iTunes. thanks.

polo2000

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2006
I had the same popping noise on my 17" MBP C2D also. It had the exact same symptoms...listening to iTunes and then a pop and no sound for about 20-30 seconds. And then the audio came right back.

I hope the speakers aren't damaged because it only takes a small amount of distortion to blow the speaker. :mad:

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
My PowerBook sometimes does this when I've been listening on headphones then pull the headphone jack out. I'll get the popping until I turn on iTunes, play with the volume for a few seconds, then leave it. The popping then stops after a few seconds.

I put it down to my PowerBook being more than three years old now as it started about two weeks after my AppleCare ran out :rolleyes: , but obviously it's not the only one that suffers from the issue.

kerisimasi

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2006
Pop Pop Pop Pop Pop Pop Pop Pop

Hi all,

I've been lurking in and out for a while and have finally jumped into the fray coz I need a bit of help.

I've had a search and can't find what I'm after so here goes.

I've got a week old Macbook Pro CoreDuo and just now as I was listening to a song in iTunes my speakers popped and went silent. I thought maybe it was the song so I tried skipping forward and back and got nothing. I pressed stop and played another song and I got the pop again and then my sound was back. So I'm confused and a little worried. I only have my speakers turned to just above half volume so not even loud.

Has anyone noticed/heard of this problem before or know what it is? Should I be worried? If my new baby needs repairs I need to do it soon coz I'm leaving the country in four weeks.

Any help?

Thanks, K

I was listening to some music when I heard this loud pop and the sound cut off. Then the sound came back after a few seconds after another (same) popping sound. I went back to the song that caused this in itunes and at the same place every time, the popping happens and the sounds goes out. It will only come back on after a few seconds, unless i change the sound using the F keys. I am worried that this is an issue with the computer, not the song - it's just curious to me that it only happens at a certain spot. There seems to be rare instances of this elsewhere with no resolution as of yet. thanks for any help understanding what the hell is going on.

brikeh

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2006
I was listening to some music when I heard this loud pop and the sound cut off. Then the sound came back after a few seconds after another (same) popping sound. I went back to the song that caused this in itunes and at the same place every time, the popping happens and the sounds goes out. It will only come back on after a few seconds, unless i change the sound using the F keys. I am worried that this is an issue with the computer, not the song - it's just curious to me that it only happens at a certain spot. There seems to be rare instances of this elsewhere with no resolution as of yet. thanks for any help understanding what the hell is going on.

Its probably not the song, its most likely the computer. I just had it happen to me again on my new c2d MBP before returning it.

knifegun

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2006
I had the same issue on my 17" C2D. So I went to the Apple store and get a new unit. The new unit had the same thing. I went back to the store and tested out all the MacBooks they had on display. They all made the popping sound with even the standard Mac OS X alert sound. Even the MacBooks did.

So I returned the MBP. I am hoping to buy one in the future but I want them to resolve some of the issues that continue to plague the line. The highest on my list is the screen's uneven illumination.

amoda

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
Its probably not the song, its most likely the computer. I just had it happen to me again on my new c2d MBP before returning it.

Hey,

I have a similar issue as the OP but for me it happens everytime i play two specific songs. Except each has slightly different symptoms.

1. Tutti Frutti by Little Richard. Everytime i play this at 1:13 a pop sound is heard and then the speakers just....die. No more pops at all, no sound when playing different songs or opening a movie etc. Lasts for a couple of minutes.

2.Devil in a Midnight Mass-Billy Talent (yes...i know). Around the 1:34 mark a popping noise is made. If i try to play another song the popping continues. I don't know how long it stays since after the first couple of times it stayed for 10min+ i just gave up and restarted.

Both songs are original, ripped from their cds and not some bootleg copy.
There are then some..."interference" noises that are sometimes evident during the playing of movies. It's kind of a "shhhhhhhhhh" sound kind of thing.

Edit: but yeah..point of this is to tell you that there might be some bases on what songs you're playing.

iKwick7

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2004
The Wood of Spots, NJ
I have also had this problem! It happened a few times on my Macbook, which I sold to get my 24" iMac. I have had it happen to the iMac a few times as well- rarely, maybe 3 times since I got it, but it has happened. :(

kerisimasi

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2006
Hey,

I have a similar issue as the OP but for me it happens everytime i play two specific songs. Except each has slightly different symptoms.

1. Tutti Frutti by Little Richard. Everytime i play this at 1:13 a pop sound is heard and then the speakers just....die. No more pops at all, no sound when playing different songs or opening a movie etc. Lasts for a couple of minutes.

2.Devil in a Midnight Mass-Billy Talent (yes...i know). Around the 1:34 mark a popping noise is made. If i try to play another song the popping continues. I don't know how long it stays since after the first couple of times it stayed for 10min+ i just gave up and restarted.

Both songs are original, ripped from their cds and not some bootleg copy.
There are then some..."interference" noises that are sometimes evident during the playing of movies. It's kind of a "shhhhhhhhhh" sound kind of thing.

Edit: but yeah..point of this is to tell you that there might be some bases on what songs you're playing.

sounds the same as my problem - is it worth doing anything about? Or maybe stop playing that specific song?? I am just worried that there are alot more songs out there that will cause the same issue. Have you tried it with the headphones plugged in? i don't want to have to take mine in, but the problems won't go away....this one, and the SLOW expose on battery power, and of course, the infamous safari crashes once per day. thanks for listening to me vent

amoda

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
Hey,

I just played both songs with the headphones in.

Tutti Frutti pops but then returns to normal after a simple pause and play.

Devil in a midnight mass gets this small faint squeak noise but continues playing.

My school's repair center simply sucks. They just told me to live with it since it's only two songs. They also didn't bother fixing any other issues which is driving me nuts (wine, heat, all the issues with early CD MBP's, which i own). Since i'm in Canada i can't really deal straight with Applecare but through a dealer.

I need the laptop anyways right now and can't give it up due to school but i plan on calling Apple directly and getting them to fix things up. I understand why you don't want to send it in since i'm afraid of things like the case getting scratched up or it taking 3 weeks to be repaird and all that.

But i'm afraid that this is an early warning sign of bad speakers that might completely fail a week after my warranty expires. So i will definitely try to send them in.

Good luck!

kayre2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2006
Australia
No solution

Hi all,

no I never found a solution to this problem. I did find a work around though in that it doesn't happen if I keep the volume at least two bars below full volume. I have a bit of a suspicion that it might have something to do with the frequency of the bass in some songs but I haven't been able to find it out for sure.

If anyone finds any better explaination/solution, please let me know

K

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.