Pork Recipes

Discussion in 'Community' started by pimentoLoaf, Jan 8, 2005.

1. pimentoLoaf macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

2. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

3. emw macrumors G4

emw

So was this thread brought on by the revival of your bacon thread? Sweet. I prefer a nice pork roast with mashed potatoes and a nice pork gravy. Mmmm.

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

When I was in high school in central Illinois, there was served, on those days which were especially blessed, a fried pork tenderloin sandwich, composed of a pork tenderloin, pounded into a half-foot or larger diameter, battered, and fried. It was served, crispy, on a bun half its diameter, typically garnished with pickle and mustard.

On days most holy, that sandwich was served with an option for a brownie for desert which was most delicious. Mostly lard and cocoa, but phenomenally tasty.

Yes, it is true, coronary heart disease claimed many who indulged at a young age, often during lunchtime itself. But for those of us who survived, it was bliss each and every time those two wonderful items were served.

5. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

A long thin (crap - I'm drawing a blank on the name of the cut of meat) piece of pork, cooked with some onion soup mix on top, then sliced neatly, and served drizzled with a little soy sauce is excellent. :)

BTW - emw and jsw — arg! You two have much too similar of online visual appearances:
    1) Three letter, lower case name ending in w.
    2) Circular avatar with a spinning/rotation motif
    3) That's it, but it still throws me off at times! (This isn't to say I mistake you for eachother for more than 1 second, but when you have posts right next to eachother, see above, it is dangerous! :D)

6. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Just hope we don't post right next to madamimadam (who, btw, had the rotating circular avatar long before either of us)!

And, yeah, emw is a bit of a jsw wannabe. I'd make fun of it, but, hey, I can't blame the guy.

7. emw macrumors G4

emw

You should see my jsw shrine I've built next to my mac. I light a votive for every hijacked thread or thinly veiled sexual reference.

* knock at door *

Hold on, it's the fire marshalls. Gotta run. ;)

P.S. At least I make my own avatars...

8. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Looks like I might have hit a fuse - back off guys and wait till you get outside, you can throw down there. ;)

9. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

There, there. It's OK. I don't mind that you idolize me. But I have no idea what you mean about hijacked threads or sexual references. I'm here to help other members out, that's all. I do admit to sometimes redirecting a thread back to its original intent, true, and I may discuss disk insertion or warn people about, oh, I don't know, "screwing with" their Macs, but I certainly don't mean anything sexual by it.

Now let's just forget about all of this and get back to discussing beef jerky.

10. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    if ever any of you go to the philippines

go to cebu and get some lechon!!!

11. emw macrumors G4

emw

Yeah, I PM'd jsw to meet me at the bikeracks after school; we'll see if he makes it ;) :D

Aw, this is all good-natured fun. I'm sure both he and I really love a good bag of pork rinds.

12. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I'll be there. Just, um, no hitting the braces or the glasses, OK?

Actually, I'd rather settle this over a nice Big Pork Tenderloin sandwich.

13. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

Browsing the linked site, I came across a reference to a dutch oven. What is that? It means something very different in the UK :eek:

14. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Here, it's a thick covered pot used on a stovetop or more typically over a fire - not in an oven.

I think it often refers to the outdoors cooking one would tend to do while camping, although I always think of it as an indoors on-the-stove type thing.

15. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

Thanks. Its a casserole here. I was having a difficult mental image of how to cook chilli in one :D

16. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

17. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

That's what I was thinking of. My next thought was how do you cook with that? D'Oh :)
    Wes - you used to live in the Middle East - Yemen? - how did you find it? Used to be in Riyadh

18. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

I used to live about 200 kilometers north of Jeddah :).

19. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

Towards Yanbu or Tabuk? The only part of the East Coast I went to was Abha & Khamis Mushayt ;) . When did you leave? Interesting?

20. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

In Yanbu actually, I left three years ago, just in time before things got ugly.

21. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

Never went to Yanbu - is there anything to do there? Apart from wadi bashing? Oil? Seeing the news I'm very glad we left when we did. Even whilst we were there, there was the National Guard bombing in Riyadh. Still have friends in Dhahran & Al Khobar who really want to leave.

22. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

In my email today from a (formerly) local grocer:

Roasted Pork Loin
    Serves 6 - 8 Active Time: 15 min Total Time: 1 hour to 25 min
    2 1/2 lbs boneless pork loin roast
    2 Tbsp Wegmans Basting Oil
    1 bunch (about 1 pound) collard greens, trimmed, chopped
    1 pkg (8 oz) Food You Feel Good About Diced Onions
    1 1/2 cups Food You Feel Good About Smooth Marinara Sauce
    1/2 cup red wine
    1 can (15.5 oz) Italian Classics Cannellini Beans, drained

Preheat oven on 450 degrees.

Rub pork loin with basting oil. Place on roasting rack in roasting pan. Roast 15 min on center rack of oven.
    Reduce oven to 350 degrees. Roast until internal temperature reaches 150 degrees, about 15 min per lb. Check by inserting thermometer halfway into thickest part of meat. Remove from oven, place on platter. Let rest, uncovered, 15 min before carving.
    Bring pot of salted water to boil. Blanch collard greens until crisp-tender (2-3 min); drain. Shock in cold water to stop cooking; drain.
    While roast is resting, remove all but 1 Tbsp fat from roasting pan. Place pan on MEDIUM heat on stove-top. Add onions; sweat (soften without browning) 2-3 min. Add wine; stir to deglaze. Add marinara sauce, collard greens and cannelini beans; simmer 3-5 min. Serve over roasted pork.
    Recipe featured in Wegmans Menu Magazine, Holiday 2003, on pg. 40.

Nutrition Info: Each serving (5 oz roast pork with 1 cup greens and beans) contains 500 calories, 19g carbohydrate (6g fiber), 43g protein, 26g fat (8g saturated fat), 115mg cholesterol and 520mg sodium.

23. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Bacon sandwich with HP Sauce. Simple but delicious! :)

24. spikeovsky macrumors member

spikeovsky

I submitted a recipe for the bacon thread, so here's a rough (and possibly tasty) one for pork:

Season a bit of pork tenderloin with flour, salt & pepper
    Butter or oil in a pan
    Lightly fry pork a few minutes either side (as you see fit)
    Pork to the side (keep warm)
    Slice some apples and onions
    A bit more butter/oil (if you think you need it)
    Reduce heat, add apples and onions, let them caramelise slowly.
    Put them on top of the pork, eat!

The caramelised apples are my favourite part. I like the whole thing with mashed potatoes. And you can put some proper green veggies (or a salad) on the side if you're feeling healthy.