Porsche Laptop/Why does CNet suck?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by springscansing, Oct 26, 2002.

1. springscansing macrumors 6502a

springscansing

From the CNet site:

"PowerBook's new PC rival--designed by Porsche

By Tom Dunlap
    Senior editor
    (10/23/02)

Retailer Best Buy is aiming to take a bite out of Apple Computer with the release of a new, wide-screen notebook designed by Porsche.

The VPR Matrix 200A5 is the third notebook Best Buy has created, and it's the best. It's also the first Windows notebook with a wide-aspect, 15.2-inch LCD with a 1,280x854 native resolution and a remarkable, high-fidelity digital audio system. The $2,399 system also includes a 2GHz Pentium 4-M, 512MB of DDR SDRAM, a 40GB hard drive, a combo CD-RW/DVD drive, and integrated 802.11b wireless networking. It all comes in an eye-catching, silver-magnesium case that weighs 6.4 pounds and measures 13.9 inches wide, 10 inches deep, and 1.2 inches thick.

I'm not an audiophile, but I know high-quality sound when I hear it. That's definitely the case with the VPR Matrix 200A5, thanks to the Sonopür Digital Audio system, with its patent-pending 24/192 upsampling technology. This system dramatically enhances digital music and offers very rich sound.

The VPR Matrix 200A5 has many other nice touches, as well. You can load discs directly into the DVD/CD-RW drive slot--no tray slides out to grab your CD. You can also play CDs with the lid closed, using controls on the front edge. You'll also find two USB 2.0 and two FireWire ports.

What's the Porsche connection, you're wondering? The notebook was designed by Porsche Design GmbH, the Austrian firm founded by F.A. Porsche, grandson of the famous engineer. Chances are you missed the big coming-out shindig this week at the Porsche Design Boutique in Beverly Hills, attended by F.A. Porsche himself (along with Anthony Edwards, Herbie Hancock, and other "luminaries").

You can snap up the VPR Matrix 200A5 at Best Buy stores, online at BestBuy.com, and at Porsche Design Boutiques in the United States. Check back later for the full review, including performance test and battery scores, at CNET's revamped notebook section."

---

Okay, first of all, why the hell is Porsche making a laptop? Who do you call when you need tech support for your Porsche laptop in 3 years? Are those amazing geniuses at Best Buy gonna help you? Also, being an audio engineer and whatnot, I can tell you this "amazing audio" is nothing short of total BS. The only possible reason that you'd need to upsample before output is because you have really ****ty A/D converters. Either way, it certainly doesn't have native 1ms latency like OS X and Coremidi! Finally.. it's a total Ti ripoff! Okay, I know this isn't exactly new news (2 days old) but... dah. That audio system is total BS and it bugs me, haha. OBVIOUSLY this guy isn't an audiophile, or he'd realize ALL sound cards that are in laptops are much, much noiser than the ones in desktops which are much noisier than external units due to all the interferance caused by the tightly packed components. Anyone who buys that thing is a -total- idiot. No exceptions.

2. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

hey man, the VPR Matrix is the best looking PC laptop, and it's good to see some of the PC laptops finally trying to have some better design.

if i couldn't afford a TiBook i might even be tempted to get myself a VPR Matrix...

you should be thankful that PC manufacturers are paying attention to design, and especially wide screen LCD's.:D

wouldn't you rather have a good (or better than normal) looking PC if you couldn't afford a Mac?

3. springscansing thread starter macrumors 6502a

springscansing

Not really.. I'd rather have a cheap one to hold me over until I saved up some money. :) It's no cheaper than the Ti anyway!

Either way... PORSCHE? It doesn't matter that it's great looking. It's by Porsche. If it was by IBM, I'd say great! It's a rip-off, but nice! However, what kind of tech support is Porsche gonna give? Not to mention owning a Porsche laptop might make you look like a total ******* to some people. :)

Plus, with that stupid audio system, it's worthless for pro audio work. Yeah, maybe I can watch some damned DVD on it. ooooo, wow, that's amazing. "It sounds so much better on my $30 dollar Sony headphones!" People will believe anything nowadays, haha.

- Springs

4. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

Porsche is not making this laptop or supporting it.

It is a BestBuy product with a design by Porsche Design (who also design golf bags, radios, watches, yachts, pencils, sunglasses, and gloves).

eBay 'Porsche Design' and you'll find a lot of things which are not cars...
    http://search.ebay.com/search/searc...=1&st=2&SortProperty=MetaEndSort&BasicSearch=

So, support will be from BestBuy...however, as an older Porsche owner, I'll tell you that if they were to support it you'd be thrilled! They recently sent me (from Germany) a 43 year old paint code, as well as the modern mix equivalent for my car (free). When I called, I spoke immediately to an intelligent human, and I was never put on hold...you won't get that from BestBuy.

5. groovebuster macrumors 65816

groovebuster

Could you please switch on your brain? Just the design(!) is by Porsche, they don't build the thing! It's like a lot of convertibles and sports cars are designed by Pinnifarina or Bertone for other car manufacturers! Not more and not less...

Jesus!

groovebuster

6. springscansing thread starter macrumors 6502a

springscansing

That was a joke on my part. In my first post you see that I knew Best Buy was handling it.

7. springscansing thread starter macrumors 6502a

springscansing

See above. :)

8. blogo macrumors 6502

I think the Ti's design fits better with the porche than porches design.

9. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

i'm just glad to know that if i ever need to get a PC laptop that there is a slim chance that i can get a well designed one.

10. medea macrumors 68030

medea

You know what, this is the 4th post on the same damn subject. someoe already posted the info on this pc, then so did another and another and now you. pay attention to the current posts before posting a topic because it is entirely possible someone has already beat you to it, and then you can add your comments to the thread that was already started.......
    Personally I don't think anyone would confuse the VPR matrix as a Tibook, and if I had to buy a PC laptop it would probably be a sony.

11. e-coli macrumors 68000

e-coli

actually, i think the Porsche laptop is really fab.

to each his own, i guess.