Port 80 blocked by ISP == SOL???

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by llanowar, Oct 16, 2002.

1. llanowar macrumors newbie

Oct 16, 2002
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I currently use Cox Cable as my ISP.

Yesterday, I was attempting to get familiar with Apache and the intricacies of personal web serving using Jaguar when to my suprise, a friend I was attempting to serve to informed me he could not connect. He went on to mention that Cox Cable blocks port 80.

Is there a work around for this that will not result in jail time or cancellation of service?

Is the blocking of ports by broadband ISPs common?

If so, it really seems a shame since OSX includes Apache.
    Dang. guess I can always tinker with Apache to serve MYSELF interesting web pages.
  2. evildead macrumors 65816

Jun 18, 2001
    WestCost, USA
    yes.. many do

many ISPs bock port 80. When you sighed up you probably agreed to never set up a server... Its funny how when you get high-speed interent.. they dont expect you to use it. My cable company is thinking of charging more to people (like me) that use to much.

On work arround... is to just use another port for web serving. You can chage that wil little problem... only thing is... other useser may have to know that to get to your stuff.

Are you just pluged into the wall? or are you behind a router... that could be your problem too. You have to forward the request for port 80 to your private NATed IP adress for it to work.

ask your friend to do a port scan on you to see what ports you have open.