Port cel # to Skype ??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by fab5freddy, Jan 30, 2007.

1. fab5freddy macrumors 65816

fab5freddy

Hi There, I have a Cingular 917 cel number,
    that i want to port to a Skype-In number or any other internet based phone service....Does anyone know if this is possible ?

thanks, MacFreak

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Can't you just use the provided Call Forwarding functions of your phone and service to forward to your Skype #?

B

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Mmm, it would be kind of cool if you could automatically set it up somehow so that, if and only if you were to be logged into Skype (and possibly also only if you didn't have cell reception), calls would automatically forward to Skype. So that, say, when I'm in some offices in the hospital writing, where the cells don't work, Skype would be an auto backup...

Of course, I don't even *have* SkypeIn. :eek: And I can't think of a good way to create that level of sophistication.

You can do "if unavailable" call forwarding with cells, but there's no way for the cell to know if Skype is available...

I guess, you could do this:

1) Set cell service "if unavailable" to your SkypeIn

2) Set Skype's "if unavailable" (I think it has one?) to your cell's voicemail number... although, I'm not sure if they would end up at your voicemail box if you did this, and not just at the general prompt for your cell service's voicemail system.

4. fab5freddy thread starter macrumors 65816

fab5freddy

My Problem is i am leaving the USA, and dont want to pay Cingular $ 60 a month for just keeping the line open......that is the minimun plan they have.....$39 per month, plus all their stupid taxes, it comes out to $60..........and a skype in USA number is $30 per year..!

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Switch to prepaid? Then, if you pay them $100 once a year you can keep the #. (Anything less expires sooner).

B

6. fab5freddy thread starter macrumors 65816

fab5freddy

Great idea about switching to Prepaid Cingular......i just hope Cingular lets me switch my subscription number to Prepaid.....?

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If you find out, do you mind posting? My special someone ;) has a similar dilemma, switching numbers the other way, and she hasn't gotten around to finding out if it can be done for her or not.

8. fab5freddy thread starter macrumors 65816

fab5freddy

well, just called Cingular. Their prepay numbers do not work abroad... : (
    that sucks. and as for porting a cel # to skype.....i really dont think it's possible yet.....although it should be physically possible...

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I was thinking more along the lines of prepay, enable call forwarding to your skype in number. Turn the phone off and don't look back (for a year). The phone never has to work (or even be on) overseas.

Probably some reason this wouldn't work.

B

10. fab5freddy thread starter macrumors 65816

fab5freddy

11. Coram Nobis macrumors member

I realize this is an old, old thread, but did this wind up working for you? Prepaid forwarding to your Skype? Any caveats to consider?

Many thanks.