Port forwarding + Airport

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by cleo, Apr 27, 2002.

1. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

OK, I have a feeling this is a ridiculously simple question, but...

On my (now defunct) Linksys router, there was actually a tab called "Port Forwarding" in which you could set up, um, port forwarding. :) How do I do that using the Airport Base Station (Snow)? I assume I have to use the admin utility, but I can't figure out where to type in my settings.

2. MacLuver23 macrumors member

Hhmmm...

The Airport has 2 ethernet ports but only one pone line port, if you are talking about ethernet (which it sounds like) you can probably use one of the ethernet ports for fowarding, see i have a router and an ethernet hub, i use a ethernet cable between the hub and router to connect all my macs to the internet (FOWARDING) . As for you that you have an airport i think you will be able to foward with it. If you want to have your intenet connection or network fowarded you can put one ethernet wire (from one port) to your mac, a hub, or a cable modem ect. (THAT YOU WOULD CALL ETHERNET IN)and then one going out to where ever you wanted to foward the connection to, ahub, another compurter, ect. (THAT WOULD BE CALLED ETHERNET OUT) Anyway I have noticed I am just blabing on and on. I probably got off topic and my spelling is bad, But what the bottom line is: The Airport has 2 ethernet ports, you could probably use fowarding by using one of the ports, check the manual, it might tell you witch one to use, if all fails call Apple they'll understand, hope this helps...... well that is if you can make sense of my never ending gibberish.......:D

3. cleo thread starter macrumors 65816

cleo

Oops, I guess I wasn't clear on exactly what I meant. I need to set it so that when someone types my IP address for my whole network into their browser, it will automatically forward the HTTP connection on port 80 to a specific computer on the network. Or port 2000, or whatever.

4. MacLuver23 macrumors member

Betterof asking apple, I don't know that much about networking, :)