Port forwarding and port triggering

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by slipper, Jan 24, 2005.

1. slipper macrumors 68000

Nov 19, 2003
    guys and gals, i recently set my port forwarding on my netgear wrg614v5 for bittorrent using the information i found in this post. Changing the setting effectively doubled my download and upload speeds though i am still a little disappointed. Upon setting up my wireless router, i found several posts that were already 'triggered'. They were named DIALPAD_1, DIALPAD_2, PALTALK_1, PALTALK_2. Should i be concerned? if this is a uber-noob question, please pardon me.

Also, what is the difference between port forwarding and port triggering. i was reading the netgear literature and it was completely uninformative.
  2. varmit macrumors 68000

Aug 5, 2003
    A router acts like a natural firewall, but not a full firewall. But forwarding means that if anything on the internet asks for something from my LAN on port 80, send that request to this computer, and is always on. Where as triggering is you need to request something from the internet, which is the trigger to turning on a port to be forward to that computer. When its done, the port is turned off, so that information doesn't keep flowing over that port.

3. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005
    As it stands, configuring a router still requires a high level of computer skill. All the networking terminology can drive grandma batty.