port forwarding for transmission

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jameso1, Oct 26, 2006.

1. jameso1 macrumors newbie

Anybody know how to set up port forwarding to allow my downloads to speed up using this application?

James.

2. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

In Transmission's Preferences, under Network, it shows you what port it uses. You'll need this. What router do you have? Linksys? AirPort?

3. jameso1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi i am using a BThome hub e33a wireless router.

James.

4. jameso1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok its using 50001 as port number.

5. oberon90 macrumors newbie

help

Can anyone help me with increasing my speed through Transmission, I am using a Belkin Wireless G Plus Router Part # F5D7231-4 and a Bigpond Broadband internet connection.

Many thanks,

Chris

6. sil3nc3 macrumors regular

Transmission is giving me serious speed issues, even with a forwarded port. As much as i want to remove Azureus from my system, Transmission is just to slow.

7. OMgLaZeRsPeWpEW macrumors member

OMgLaZeRsPeWpEW

hate to up a dead thread but does anyone know how to increase speeds for transmission?

8. benzslrpee macrumors 6502

benzslrpee

i would venture a "no". if you look at the developers own forum (which i was doing this afternoon) this very question has been discussed ad nauseum with no concrete results. it seems that some folks can get very nice speeds and others are dwindling at the other spectrum...

you'll probably get better/faster results with Azureus. yes, i know it's not very "Mac-like" but for me it's a difference between doing 300 Kbs and 85 Kbs :eek:

and for the original poster check out portforward.com...you should pretty much be able to find everything you need to get setup there.

9. pjrobertson macrumors 6502a

http://portforward.com lists hundreds of routers and how to set up port forwarding on them (although the tutorials were done on Windows machines :eek:)

It's worth a look and a quick read.

First thing you'll need to do is set up a static IP address on your Mac (not sure if it's mentioned at portforward).
    Open up network preferences;
    Click advanced..

Go to the TCP/IP tab and not the current IP address. e.g. 192.168.1.3
    Configure IPv4 to 'use DHCP with manual address' and in the IP box now paste the number you noted earlier BUT change the last number to something a lot higher. So you'll paste something like 192.168.1.150

this should hopefully avoid IP address conflicts.

Once that's done, pop over to portforward to see how to deal with your router.