Port Forwarding - HELP!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by m4rc, Sep 28, 2004.

1. m4rc macrumors 6502

I need to open ports 20220 to 20300 on 2 PowerBooks (running 10.3.5) and redirect to the 'right server'. This is for a Database application, one of the PowerBooks is acting as a server. I know how to do this with an airport but this is connected over a non-apple network.

Help menu says go into Network Prefs etc but there are no options to select port numbers that I can see.

Any ideas?

2. m4rc thread starter macrumors 6502

ok, got the opening ports bit sussed, but how do I redirect a port from the client laptop to the server? Any ideas?

3. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

What are you using to do the port forwarding? I really do not understand your network setup, so if you can clue me in, that would be helpful.

4. neilrobinson macrumors 6502

program called brickwall is great for stuff like that.

5. m4rc thread starter macrumors 6502

Basically there is a PC network (server, router, wired and wireless options) and I have 2 PowerBooks which connect to the network wirelessly, mainly for email/net access but also to fileshare with each other. I am running a piece of software called Daylite and this wants me to do as I posted in the first/second posts. I found how to open the ports, just not how to 'redirect the port to the right server' (by server in this case it is to mean the other Powerbook, which is running the database)

No worries if this makes no sense, I will just have to wait for Daylite people to sort me out (although this can take days!)

6. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Seriously, you are not making any sense.

So am I to understand that you are running Daylite on one of the powerbooks, and trying to connect to that running application from your Other powerbook?

7. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

8. makisushi macrumors 6502

I am not sure you need to forward any ports if you are on the internal network...
    I, too, am having a hard time understanding your problem.

9. m4rc thread starter macrumors 6502

http://forums.marketcircle.com/eve/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=5526055511&f=628608294&m=801102084 point 8 says '8 The firewall ports are not open or not forwarding to the right computer' and refers you to this link;

http://forums.marketcircle.com/eve/ubb.x?a=tpc&f=300608054&m=901107774

10. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

If you're just going to connect over the local network, you don't need to worry about port numbers as long as you have the Mac OS X built-in firewall and any third-party firewalls disabled. If you want them on though - I don't understand the port forwarding requirement. If your computers are networked with a router, that setting needs to be made on the router. If your network is like mine, and has the computers connected to each other via a hub, with a router separating them from the Internet, you shouldn't need to forward any ports as long as you have the required ports opened.

11. m4rc thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for trying everyone, the developer has helped me - it was a serial number issue!