Port Forwarding Troubles - Cable Modem --> Linksys Router --> Airport Express -->PBG4

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by hirstopher, May 7, 2006.

1. hirstopher macrumors newbie

Jul 14, 2004
    Soooooo, I can't quite get my port forwarding just right, as in no upload "cleverness" in BitTorrent, and its happened just as I installed my airport express. When it's just the router to my computer I am perfectly able to get ports open, but now it just seems impossible. I've messed about with settings on both the linksys router and the airport express and my own network settings but can't seem to find the right combination of settings.

Could anyone shed some light? It's quite frustrating...

thanks in advance,

2. lonegeek macrumors member

Jan 2, 2006
    Im not familiar with airport ... but in the linksys have you thought about opening all ports for the airport connection and then using the airport to decide what ports are opened/close... Or do that vice versa
  3. cloudy243 macrumors newbie

Jan 21, 2009
    same here

I am doing the exact thing and i am wondering since i dont use bit torrent just how you forwarded ports to your comp. I am about to have the following setup.

cable--->linksys router--->airport extreme--->computer

This is what i am going to do forward linksys port 80 to i hope is the airport extreme) and then on the airport extreme forward port 80 to the computers ip (airport to comp i know is correct for that is what i have now just going to put a linksys infront of it)

Is this what i should do to get port 80 to the computer? I need an answer asap for i am going to be setting it up for some school club websites and cant afford to much downtime. Ty
  4. linuxophile macrumors regular

Nov 8, 2005
    I will try an answer, although your setup is peculiar since you have two routers (with respective firewalls) in series. Typically one has

I assume, although you did not say, that your linsys is also the modem (?); if you meant by "cable" the modem, then I am not sure why you need two routers. But I digress.

I would try to `demilitarize' the IP of the airport in the router linksys, namely expose the airport directly to the WLAN. That should simplify the setup.