Port Forwarding with two routers

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ioama, Feb 1, 2007.

1. ioama macrumors newbie

Dear All,

I'm trying to host games on my Powerbook and have come across a major problem with my new roommates. My internet goes from the Modem to a Linksys BEFSR41 v. 4.1, and then I have an Airport Express hooked up to the Linksys. How am I supposed to do port fowarding? I've heard rumors about making my Linksys a "bridge," but I have no idea how to do that (came with no instruction manual, thanks to my roommates whose desktop doesn't have wireless). Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

What do you mean the Express is "hooked up" to the Linksys? Through WDS? Cause if that is the case you just need to forward the ports on the Linksys. In the case of a WDS setup the DHCP serving router is the only one that needs ports forwarded.

3. ioama thread starter macrumors newbie

still confused...

By "hooked up," I mean that the Airport Express is connected to the linksys via an ethernet cable....and the linksys is not WDS...as far as I know.:confused: I've configured my Airport Express for port forwarding and i've tried portforwarding.com for the Linksys, but there is still some type of firewall.

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

So you have two wireless networks in your house -- the one from the Linksys and the one from your Airport Express?

In that case, the only way I can think of getting port-forwarding to work is to set your Express up in bridge mode (so it stops acting as a router), and then enable the ports in the port-forwarding area on the Linksys.

To setup your Express in bridge mode, first make sure that the Linksys is setup for DHCP (it probably already is), then use the Airport Admin Utility program on your Mac, go to the Network tab and unclick the "Distribute IP addresses" option.

5. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

You just need to route between the two networks. Make sure you're using different address ranges, make sure firewalling isn't on for the two address ranges, and put a route in each router.