Port fowarding Help:

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ISO:HELP, Oct 23, 2006.

1. ISO:HELP macrumors regular

ISO:HELP

ok here is the schpheel..

ive been all over the intrawebs and have not found a way to upload to trackers after the download is complete..basically from what i have gathered via various ports is that i need to be able to upload....now i am running the latest osx version/no firewall/ i am using the latest version of Bit Torrent for osx...
    I have been all over the place 4 message boards and no dice anywhere..

I have a feeling my system pref are set right, and my Air port extreme base Station has the proper TCP/IP settings.

If there is anyone who can help me i would greatly appr it...give you music dvds n such whatever...

right now i feel really lost but refuse to give up...

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If you feel comfortable with it, start by putting your computer in the DMZ -- if it works there, you know that port forwarding is at issue. You can do this by setting the IP address of the computer manually and then setting that same IP address as the DMZ in the base station options.

3. ISO:HELP thread starter macrumors regular

DMZ?

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

De-militarized zone. It's an analogy to DMZs in combat areas.... Normally, a computer is behind the NAT firewall and only incoming traffic that was solicited from the inside (i.e. responses to port 80 requests) is granted passage. The NAT does this by matching the packets you send to the packets that come back in.

If a computer is in the DMZ, ALL ports get forwarded to that computer. It's like it's not behind a hardware firewall at all. The computer basically acts as if it *is* the upstream IP address of the router.

So, the easiest way to tell if port forwarding is your issue is to remove it from the list of variables. If you go to the AEBS configuration and you choose base station options, I believe, from the first tab, then you will get a pop-up window that will have several options, including one in which you can enter an IP address on the intranet that should receive access to all the external ports. Turn that one on and put in the IP address you're giving the computer running Torrent.

EDIT: "DMZ?" Just how far "all over the intrawebs" did you go? ;)

5. ISO:HELP thread starter macrumors regular

ok guy..

so far i can get as far as the base station options i click and my first tab is wan ethernet/logging ntp/usb printer..

where do i go from there..

6. cwedl macrumors 65816

cwedl

7. ISO:HELP thread starter macrumors regular

ok..here is the skinny..i download a torrent off this website and am not able to seed/upload anything @ all..people tell me for this website you have to foward your ports to connect to the peers on the tracker..

i download the file @ a huge rate but can not seed it....

i have set my static ip @ 10.0.1.1 but just cant figure out how to configure the right ports with my client(that says 6881 is the best port)

I have set a public port :6881
    private adress 10.0.1.1
    private port:6881

but just cant get things right config.

8. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Because it must be linked:

[​IMG]

You can't seed it because the firewall on the router is blocking the ports. Open those ports on the router and you're free to distribute illegal files again. Presumably they aren't illegal, however, as MacRumors definitely doesn't want to knowingly support someone in doing illegal activites.

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I spit crackers out at the screen. No doy!

10. ISO:HELP thread starter macrumors regular

ok guys...

that like for the portfowarding for the apple airport extreame base station directions are set up for a PC so to speack..

first off does settings=preferences? see the problem is that those directions are for a PC...which i dont have.. i dont know im justt lost....i'm giving this my all and am not tally wagging around....im just a little slow @ computers obv.

11. ISO:HELP thread starter macrumors regular

how do i open these ports?

fwiw i am a hippie kid who trades phish/Greatful dead shows via the intrawebs..dvds/flacs/shn/acc...

lol sweet pic post..def spun me a lil bit... and the snap was well understood as the fact of your postion on the aiding in unknown downloading.....but the phish/gd/sci/disco biscuts as well i download are available on archive.org and bt.etree.com.....

12. ISO:HELP thread starter macrumors regular

man this stuff is tricky..

you are all intense mofo's to understand all this jargon....

obv im a Knube....

but ill throw anyone here some serious gd/phish/sci/tdb/wsp dvd and shows if they can help me out..

signed,

Clueless

13. ISO:HELP thread starter macrumors regular