Port Protectorz now available!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Bern, Aug 8, 2006.

1. Bern macrumors 68000

Nov 10, 2004
    I bought a silicone port protector from Radtech for my white MacBook. They're really great and fit perfectly to keep foreign objects out of your ports. I don't know why Apple doesn't include them with every portable.

Well Radtech now have them in clear for the white MacBook, black for the black MacBook and a kind of greyish tint for the MacBook Pro.

I was really impressed with the delivery time from them to me here. Only 4 days.
  2. raleigh1208 macrumors member

Aug 1, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    I can attest to the fast delivery time on Radtech orders. I ordered a mouse last Friday night (early Saturday morning) around 2 a.m. It shipped out on Saturday and was delivered to me on Monday. What turnaround time!

3. Oofie macrumors regular

Jul 25, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    Can you cut them so that you can have a middle port available?
  4. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Feb 10, 2006
    Western Australia
    totally cool, but fairly pricy i reckon.. esp for MBP. hrmmmm.

I dont see why you couldnt cut it next to the port you want to frequently use in the middle, and just 'flip/hinge' it open when you want to use that middle port....

5. hajime macrumors 68020

Jul 23, 2007
    your experience please

Anybody used it on the new santa rosa MBP 17"?
    I heard cases that the Speck's SeeThru scratched
    the machines. I wonder if the Protectorz has this
    problem. I consider to buy it for the purpose of
    protecting my mbp
  6. iToaster macrumors 68000

May 3, 2007
    In front of my MacBook Pro
    I find it hard to believe that port covers would scratch the MBP. Anyway, I'd like to see the for individual ports, or is that how they work, I can't tell. Seems nice to keep everything in working order.
  7. iW00t macrumors 68040

Nov 7, 2006
    Defenders of Apple Guild
    I think it is a solution begging for a problem.

What is it meant to protect considering the rest of the computer is as fragile as a... Apple computer?

Prevents spills from entering the port: Hmm, probability of liquids entering a MacBook Pro through my USB/DVI port vs probability of a direct hit from the keyboard or speaker grill...

Not like it ruggedises your computer that much anyway, you are going to use your MacBook Pro like you use your EOS 1 in the Sahara desert? The sand will get sucked in and clog up the rest of your system so bad. Oh! Your USB ports will still be clean!

Protects your ports against knocks and scratches? For a MacBook Pro that dings easily this is so funny it is really makes me question the sanity of the one who suggests the joke.

They are pretty, but personally I think these really don't serve much of a purpose. The microfibre rug that they sell for preventing the keyboard from hitting the screen... that is actually decent.